My First Ever Brisket

Tsevg9

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Okay, so I built my UDS a little over a month ago. So far I've cooked a few pork butts, some pork chops and 3 slabs of ribs on the pit. Yesterday I tried my hand at my first ever beef brisket. Picked one up from Costco, trimmed it up, and slapped on some Soulard Grill Rub from Soulard Market in St. Louis, MO.
IMAG0073_zps2bc14884.jpg

Rubbed
IMAG0074_zpsf439daa3.jpg

I put on the brisket at 7:00am. For some reason my Maverick has been acting up and one of the probes isn't working so I put the good probe in the meat and just hoped my grill was at a good temp.

Pulled the brisket at 4:00pm and let it rest until 5:00.

Tasted pretty good! Although some of it was a little drier than I had hoped.
IMAG0075_zps6eff6a65.jpg

Next time you pull it make sure it is wrapped in Foil and then in a towel and it would be nice to have a cooler to put it in as well. The slower it cools the more natural juices will be retained.

What was your indicator that it was time to pull off the smoker?

What was your indicator that it was time to pull off the smoker?

It was pulled off the pit when it hit IT 175 degrees. I then wrapped it in foil and placed it in my oven to rest for an hour before slicing.

Instead of going by temp, go by probe tender. probe w/ skewer, thermapen, toothpick and when it slides in like butter, you're done! Could be anywhere from 180-210 IT. Newb here but i've seen it here a million times and also have seen in my own cooking. Don't sweat it, its a right of passage to mess up your 1st brisket.

I pull my briskets at 190 and then wrap in foil and put it in a cooler for about an hour to rest. Looks good though - nice smoke ring. :)

Back