burn times on a kettle low and slow setup

LT72884

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Ello all. Hope everyone is having a awesome spring. I have a questiin. How long will minon method burn for on a 22.5 otg weber grill setup low n slow with no firebriks? Just coals banked up to oneside and a waterpan? Oh and Will fire briks extend burn times on a kettle set up for low and slow? I know they are used to kind of keep the heat isolated and the grill from cooling to quickly.

I have been expiermenting and i think i have found that 15 lit coals my be to many but in my elevation, im thinking 10 lit will work. I have also discovered that anything smaller than billard ball in wood chunk size burns up to fast to enjoy any tbs. Haha

Thanks all. Oh and i got hired part time at a pro kitchen teaching bbq and artisan breads. Woot woot

I've used both the minion method and the ring of fire method in my kettle , and have gotten cook times of 10+ hours with coals leftover. That was with KBB and wood chunks at temps of 225-275, I try to dial in at 240-250 for "my" low and slow cooks.

KC

these ones ran about 11~12 hours, bottom vents mostly open, top always open.....at approx. 250~260.........it will depend some on outside air temp & moisture & also a little bit on how much of an internal layer of 'insulation' you have built up in the cooker.......

Stubb's & Wicked sprinkled over, black walnut ~>
Jan29Danaedad021.jpg

Stubb's & pecan ~>
Jan29Danaedad020.jpg

Wicked w/ maple ~>
Jan29Danaedad018.jpg

Banked always seems to end out burning a bit hotter / faster than I'd like; for ribs, I'll use just a shorter fuse, or two, one on each side burning opposite directions & jump the grate around now & then to keep from directly over the heat.......

I can get 16 hrs with the ring of fire on lump keeping my temps 250-275 Banked about 8 hrs I don't use any fire brick but I do cover the empty are with foil so the air has to draw up through the fire it makes it temps very controllable.

I got about 11 hours with a ring of regular Kingsford and hickory on the brisket I'm doing as we speak. I just now added to the end of the ring to continue on around for hopefully another 4 hours.

Dang, it seems that the ring of fire is the way to go. haha.
I have decided that chips are not worth the time or hassle. they burn up way to fast before the good ol tbs is even ready. haha But what bites is all the wood chunks at the store that you buy in bags, they are like small.. no fist sized ones at all. so frustrating. haha.

In the past, i used a charcoal basket in the kettle and covered it with a pizza stone so that i could put food all over the cooking grate. works pretty good. just wanted to see what else existed out there. haha.

thanks guys,

How many lit do you all use to light the unlit stuff?

I made a plate from 1/8" steel to cover about 2/3rds of the charcoal grate & bent it up to act as a barrier. Like a smokenator of sorts. Then I fill the area up with lump & chunks mixed. Light 3-4 pieces of lump to start. Then I plug in my digiq wifi & let it bring up to temp & take over. During the Iowa winter here, I've gotten 5+ hours @ 250 degrees, with some left over. I'll probably get longer times when the weather warms up. I've done pork loin, ribs & chicken wings so far this way, & like the results. I'll have to try the ring of fire sometime also.

I can't argue with the ring of fire as I have not tried it, but this many brethren cannot be wrong.

I only use chips for stuff like fish or chops that are going to be on a few minutes.

If you cannot find chunks the size you like at the store, see what you can scrounge up locally. I've gotten oak, maple, hickory, cherry (sour), apple (crab), mulberry, black walnut, lilac, grape either on my lot, in my neighborhood or found on CL. No mesquite or pecan 'round here so I have to buy those. Not sure I would recognize an alder either. Then I cut to the size I want.

The few times I have done low 'n slow on a kettle, I used one charcoal basket and closed the bottom One Touch vent to just a sliver. Only downside is that I have to open it occasionally to replenish the briquettes. (At my son's place and he did not have lump.)

dang, it seems that the ring of fire is the way to go. Haha.
I have decided that chips are not worth the time or hassle. They burn up way to fast before the good ol tbs is even ready. Haha but what bites is all the wood chunks at the store that you buy in bags, they are like small.. No fist sized ones at all. So frustrating. Haha.

In the past, i used a charcoal basket in the kettle and covered it with a pizza stone so that i could put food all over the cooking grate. Works pretty good. Just wanted to see what else existed out there. Haha.

Thanks guys,

how many lit do you all use to light the unlit stuff?
12-15

thanks guys all the tips. i need to try this ring of fire out. jut wish it didnt take up so much room.. haha. thats why i have a UDS. haha

perfect. thats the range i thought i needed to be in for my kettle. i have heard of people doing 6 briqs as well. i wonder why though.

I have heard that the more you use to start your ring with, the higher the cook temperature will be because you are applying more heat to burn the fuel faster. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can say yea or nay on that.

LT, about the wood chunks, I got some very large bags or apple and cherry from an orchard in Provo. They are splits so I have to cut them in chunks, but much better than the selection we have around here in Utah. Also there is firewood place on 33rd south just east of i15 near trax that sells smoke wood as well. I cant remember the name but they are on the south side of the road.

LT, about the wood chunks, I got some very large bags or apple and cherry from an orchard in Provo. They are splits so I have to cut them in chunks, but much better than the selection we have around here in Utah. Also there is firewood place on 33rd south just east of i15 near trax that sells smoke wood as well. I cant remember the name but they are on the south side of the road.

hey long time no hear eh. SLCC is keepin me busy. Im working in the math lab now and i have to repeat calc 2. boo.

that place on33rd is called standard wood supply. i have bought from them but only mesquite charcoal. BUT it is the best mesquite i have ever used. full sized logs to be exact. 20$ for 50 lbs of it to. Have not purchased wood from them though.

Which orchard in provo? i may have to stop in. Im tired of buying a bag and it has small weak sauce stuff in it. haha thanks for the heads up. ill call standard tomorrow.

Another question for the brethren. For all of those using the fire brick method, have you been able to cook food on the lower portion of the unused charcoal grate?

thanks

Matt

Coals just banked to the side, at most, 4 hours reliably. The fire bricks do more than isolate heat. They keep the coals piled up in a contained area, leading to a more efficient burn. Plus, you get more in one pile what way.

Back