• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Adding grates to WSM

Big slick

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I already have my plan thanks to the weber bullet modifications page about how I am going to add additional racks for increased cooking capacity. My question is does it all have to be stainless steel? My plan is to buy the 4-12" threaded rods and use nuts and washers to help set shelf height. I know I can get the nuts and washers in SS. The threaded rods though might be a bit of a challenge. My guys telling me "YES! You idiot it's being used to cook with" I am just worried about being able to find SS threaded rods before this weekend.

Thoughts, tips, ideas??

You don't need stainless.

Get whatever is available and you'll be fine.

Your guy is probably worried about using galvanized. Don't use it if you have any concerns.

On my 18.5 I just drilled extra holes through the internal supports and outer shell midway between the top and bottom grates. I drilled 1/4" holes and installed short 1/4-20 bolts in the holes to support a third grate. It takes a little maneuvering to get the third grate past the top grate supports and on the new supports but once there it is stable. A standard 18.5 grate (like the top grate or a kettle grate) fits snugly so short bolts are all that is needed. IIRC the grate actually sits on the nuts so if you want to split the difference perfectly, allow for half the diameter of a nut when you locate the holes.

I plan the same mod for my 22.5 but hope to integrate the support bolts with handles to lift the mid section if the dimensions work out.

You bet it's okay to not use stainless, our stock Weber grates aren't stainless and that's what the food sits on. Not a piece of stainless on any of my Weber stuff far as I know.

Absolutely. It's not a health concern (except for galvanized), it's a rust issue. The basis "allthread" at the hardware store is fine. After a few 'smokes', you'll have enough fat and grease on it that it probably won't rust anyway.

Careful chhipping up the porcelin coating on the WSM though.

Nice. That just cut the cost of this project down a lot. Now where can I get some cheap grates?

OK cool. You hold your breath, I'll call you when I've got them. ;)

But seriously, a CL find might serve you best (cheapest). Not sure what they'd cost through Weber.

Back