Help with a Ham

BBQWildcat

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have done butt, brisket, ribs, and chicken, now i want to try out a ham. I have no clue about it.

What kind of ham? precooked?
How long do you cook one? 140 or 160.
Score or not?
I have no idea where to start.

Just trying to gather ideas and the Brethren are the most informed Q hounds I know.
Probably wont be this week but i want to gather as much info as i can.
Then on to Turkey :-D

Thanks

Tuck

Usually, we're dealing with cured ham that is not completely cooked and you are instructed on the package to get it to 160 deg. F internal.

Sometimes, you can come across a plain, raw, uncured ham. It will not taste like ham. It will taste like pork roast because it is uncured. It too should be brought up to a minimum of 160.

As for rubs and glazes do whatever floats your boat. Doing nothing works too.

As Mark said, it kind of depends on what you want to do. You could make your own ham (which involves curing) from pork loin or a portion of the leg. Or you could just smoke a ham that has already been cured to improve it's flavor.

Personally, I haven't done either, but I have a couple of guides saved for when I do. Here is a good guide on how to make your own ham:
http://schmidling.com/ham.htm

Here is a good guide for smoking a ham that's already cured. Thread was started by Mark, (who was the first to reply) and was posted way back in 2003. There is some good info here, and if you scroll down you will see a post from Jim Minion (of the minion method fame) with his recipe for Dr. Chicken’s Double Smoked Ham:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7096

On a side note, my wife's grandparents used to live right down the road from you in LaCenter, KY, and her dad still lives in Kevil, KY. Been to Paducah many time. Still have quite a few bottles of Starnes BBQ sauce in the pantry. I love that stuff on pulled pork sandwiches.

I get the precooked ham. Smoke it until it hits 140. Put a little glaze on it at the end. As simple as it gets and they always turn out delicious. Just make sure it isn't spiral sliced. They dry out too easy.

Thanks for the info guys! I'll check out that link when i have a little more time

Tuck

Saiko, Yep we usually have a bottle or 2 hanging around in our house too. My dad has some and uses it like ketchup. got a good flavor.

Tuck

i like getting the partially cooked cured hams. lightly smoke them to 160. good eats. i just slather with mustard for a crust and thats it.

HMM you slather but don't use rub... interesting i may have to try that

Tuck

interesting thread. If you were cooking an uncured ham, could you treat it like a but, cook to 190 or so, and pull it?

interesting thread. If you were cooking an uncured ham, could you treat it like a but, cook to 190 or so, and pull it?

I have not done this for a long time but we call that a green ham in my neck of the woods. That used to be all I ever used but they are a little harder to come by these days. And yes it can be treated just like a butt. It will be much bigger and the bone is much bigger but its all good.
Dave

Back