Rookie Season - Progression of Presentation

KC_Bobby

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I wanted to show the progression of our turn ins - it's as much for me to see at the same time as it is for you to provide comment.

We've done three comps, and the turn in's are in order or contest - go accross.

If these pics take too much space, it's OK to take down.

Attachments

• chicken turn in2 small.JPG
    chicken turn in2 small.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 151
  • ankpork2ssmall.JPG
    ankpork2ssmall.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 151
  • raytown pork2 small.JPG
    raytown pork2 small.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 151
  • pork turn in2 small.JPG
    pork turn in2 small.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 152
  • ankrib1ssmall.JPG
    ankrib1ssmall.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 151
  • raytown ribs2 small.JPG
    raytown ribs2 small.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 153
  • rib turn in2 small.JPG
    rib turn in2 small.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 152
  • ankchik1ssmall.JPG
    ankchik1ssmall.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 151
  • Raytown chick #3 small.JPG
    Raytown chick #3 small.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 151
And brisket

Attachments

• brisket turn ins mall2.JPG
    brisket turn ins mall2.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 153
  • raytown brisket2 small.JPG
    raytown brisket2 small.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 152
  • ankbris2ssmall.JPG
    ankbris2ssmall.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 152
I'll make my comments on #3's to see what I think look like they should have been better based on the prior 2

Chicken - looks like I should not have left over direct heat as long to finish then spritz'd
Ribs - looks like it has a finger mark on the first 2 ribs
Pork - if I'm going to slice, put in 6 slices and fill with pulled
Brisket - maybe lay a bit more flat to look like it fills the box more

my pics would be

Chicken # 2
Ribs # 1
Pork # 1 (the others look very dry)
Brisket # 3

Yeah same here. I think your brisket has a weird look to it, maybe too brown or something, but it is the best of the three.

My picks would be...

#2 Chicken
#3 Ribs
#2 Pork
#3 Brisket

I would agree.
#2 chicken
#3 Ribs
#2 Pork
#3 Brisket

If you can, add burnt ends to your brisket entry.

Heres a pic of my 2nd place ribs. You can compare presentations anyway. This is the way I almost always do it. Unless the ribs are to fat like they were in Marshalltown.
DSCF3783.jpg

Mayor, Those are some great looking ribs. What is the key to getting that great deep red color? Mine turn out much darker brown. Do you put on the finish at the very end. I have basted the ribs and then put them back on the smoker for 30 to 60 minutes to firm them up.

Mayor, Those are some great looking ribs. What is the key to getting that great deep red color? Mine turn out much darker brown. Do you put on the finish at the very end. I have basted the ribs and then put them back on the smoker for 30 to 60 minutes to firm them up.

I've heard it's the wood. But I think it has to do with the wood and how hot it is. I cook ribs at about 240° and use cherry wood.

Ray, do you do 3-2-1 in your Gator?

Yep. Pretty much.
It's 3 hours smoke, foil for about 2 hours. I check them after an hour and make sure their not getting done too fast. pull out of foil and sauce put back on for about 30 min. Agian, check them and make sure the sauce is just firming and not burning. Cook the crap out of them. Thats my motto.

Here is a pic of the last brisket I turned in, just for another example of a turn in box.

Attachments

• IMG_0250_2.jpg
    IMG_0250_2.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 94
My 1 cent:

Chicken is too big.. cut it down so it looks better, but it doesn't look bad, just splotchy.

Ribs aren't looking bad... I prefer the last one... Just pay attention to detail. They're too dark, though.

Pork... Pork rarely looks good, but I have to say that the last one looks not good at all. The first one looks ok... Don't shred it so much, maybe. And it looks dry as it progresses.

Brisket looks dry. Make sure all slices are very even, and the first one does the best of showing a bit of each slice. You can put more than 6 in the box to fill it up, or do burnt ends with it (just make sure they're good, as a judge may score you based on any one thing they eat). It can be cut to fix the box better, too.

Man thats some good looking brisket, I just ate lunch and now I'm hungry again.

Thanks that got us a third place trophy. I thought our brisket was our weakest entry in that contest, but it got us our only call... shows what i know.

Jerry: Is it me or was that the ugliest baby you have ever seen?
Elaine: Uh, I couldn't look. It was like the Pekinese.
Jerry: Boy, a little too much chlorine in that gene pool. And, you know, the thing is, they're never gonna know, no one's ever gonna tell them.

Hopefully, our babies weren't that ugly - just wanted to throw a bit of humor in before saying thanks for the comments. We'll take any constructive criticism we can get and work on implimenting your tips and advice.

How did you manage to get all of the green tucked in on pork #1?

Hey Boondoggle, in the 2nd rib pic, they didn't gig you on your rib placement? I don't have a pic, but last weekend I put them a "star" or asteric pattern. They said they would've DQ'ed me but we were new to the game. I don't understand that rule. How can your placement be legal and mine wasn't?
Sorry about that tantrum:mad: . Your food looks great-keep up the good work.

Hey Boondoggle, in the 2nd rib pic, they didn't gig you on your rib placement? I don't have a pic, but last weekend I put them a "star" or asteric pattern. They said they would've DQ'ed me but we were new to the game. I don't understand that rule. How can your placement be legal and mine wasn't?
Sorry about that tantrum:mad: . Your food looks great-keep up the good work.

Not all reps are created equal...

Back