As a competition team...

Bentley

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
pro⋅fes⋅sion⋅al
–adjective 1.following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain: a professional builder. 2.of, pertaining to, or connected with a profession: professional studies. 3.appropriate to a profession: professional objectivity. 4.engaged in one of the learned professions: A lawyer is a professional person. 5.following as a business an occupation ordinarily engaged in as a pastime: a professional golfer. 6.making a business or constant practice of something not properly to be regarded as a business: “A salesman,” he said, “is a professional optimist.” 7.undertaken or engaged in as a means of livelihood or for gain: professional baseball. 8.of or for a professional person or his or her place of business or work: a professional apartment; professional equipment. 9.done by a professional; expert: professional car repairs.

When you compete in a BBQ competition, do you consider yourself a BBQ professional?

Are you just a competitor, a hobbist, a professional...one, some or all?

How many teams make their livelihood from competing? Those few might be considered professionals.

Yea, 9 was the only one that I thought might apply. I figured if you competed for money you were considered a professional, but I guess this aint the Olympics in the 60's!

When talking to possible sponsors, "professional"... it has a better ring to it and instills a bit more confidence in their decision to sponsor. I always make the opportunity seem as professional as possible. I think the KCBS refers to it as a professional circuit as opposed to non-sanctioned events which may be considered amateur or something similar. "Undertaken as a means of livelihood or for gain" covers us. We're all trying to win and "gain". I know I am.

I consider BBQ Competitions a sport and myself an athlete.:shock:

I think the term "professional" is used to differentiate from "backyard" cooks at a competition. I don't see it used too much in the mid-Atlantic comps. I feel more of a competitor doing all 4 categories needed to win the overall.

100% Competitor. (He couldda been a contenda)

Jeff Stehney, Olley Gates, etc. are BBQ Professionals.

Even with Sponsors, I would submit I am an amateur - an Enthusiast -Professional no, but an avid competitor.

Jeff- Just something to think about... But I would usually not use that term in talking with sponsors. My sponsors know I am there with my wife, girls, a dog, and who knows what else. It is a "sport" with lots of eyes on it, it is a marketing play. There are alot of reasons to sponsor me, but not because I'm a professional :)

I don't think of myself as a professional when I enter contests because we don't sell BBQ for money -- we don't cater or vend or have a restaurant etc. -- as a means of supporting ourselves on a daily basis.

I am not even sure I am a competitor. I don't invest a lot of time practicing or trying to develop sauces and brines and rubs. I use to, but it didn't help, so I don't bother any more. :) I do give it my all when I go to a competition and try to the best of my abilities, but since I don't study and practice am I really that dedicated a competitor? My honest answer to that would have to be "no".

So, I guess that I have begun to conclude that I am a hobbyist. This is an activity that is different from other things which I do in life and so provides a nice break/release from everyday worries and boredom, provides some nice conversation starters with non-BBQ friends, and always has the possibility of providing a thrill if the judges do like what I do and give me a walk!!

Everyone that participates in a BBQ competition is a competitor. Those that compete for money and prizes are professionals.

Got to be a little of all. Professional for the sponsor side of it, competitor cause it's a competition and it's my nature, and Hobbist cause it's something I love to do and have fun at while not take expenses off taxes.

Back