Mike Mills

S

smythers1968

Has anyone ever made the Mike Mills Magic Dust and Applecity sauce?

If so, how was it?:confused:

I made the Dust. It was pretty good. I thought it had too much cumin personally, but to be perfectly honest, starting with this recipe for inspiration basically got me to one of the rubs I still use to this day for pork.

Never made the rub but I tried making the Apple City Sauce...

It tasted like every other basic homemade BBQ sauce... not bad at all but not worth the effort IMO.

I did not detect the ground up bacon bits and all and the grated apple was a bit too chunky and did not dissolve in the sauce. Apple sauce might have been a better option as a substitute.

i made the magic dust right after I read his great book. definetely some good stuff!

I have used the rub on brisket, chicken and ribs. Great flavors! I added some turbinado sugar to it and got even better results. I like the ability of having one spice that works for almost everything. I have enough junk drawers in the house. Why should I include the spice rack in that overwhelming mess.

I made the sauce and the rub but niether were to my liking. The rub had way to much cumin in it for my taste. For me too much cumin in a bbq rub just ruins the food. I'm headed to Vegas in a couple weeks though, so I'll definately check out one of his restaurants while I'm there. I'm sure it will be much better coming from his smoker.

we like it. use it on alot of stuff although i'm a salt and pepper kinda guy.

I use a version of Magic Dust for all things pork. I have decreased the amount of cumin and increased the amount of turbinado sugar a bit as others have said. I have heard it said that the recipe in the book is a simplified version of what he actully uses. We love it around our house. As Mike says in his book, we keep a shaker of it around and use it on all sorts of stuff. I don't like it on brisket and use a version of the Holy Cow rub from the book on that.

Cliff

I, too, have used the basic ingredients of his Dust. I changed it just enough to taste the way I like it and call it my own.
It was a great start to what is now what I call my Original Rub.
Thanks Mike. You are a Smokin' Dawg!!!

I use the rub on most of my pork and chicken, and love it, I too use it as a condiment. I use Slabs Wow your Cow on beef. I made the sauce, and didn't like it at all. I should probably make it again, I used soy sauce,and should try it with Worcestershire..

I have made Magic Dust using the recipe that Mike gives in his book several times and use it quite a bit. I also had somebody give me a gift of products from Mike Mills, including the Apple city sauce and Magic Dust. The recipe in the book and the rub that he sells as Magic Dust are two totally different animals.

Magic Dust is the base for my rub. I substitute turbinado for regular sugar. For a more atkins friendly rub, I substitute Xyletol, which is a sugar alcohol. I also add a mix of dry herbs to it like sage, thyme, cilantro and tarragon. It is very good. I find it important to use the highest quality paprika available since it is the biggest ingredient in the mix. I prefer Penzy's sweet and smoked hungarian paprika.

My wife has makes the dust since we
read the cook book.. I use it a lot
it's one of the spices I keep above the
stove.. She adds maple sugar instead
of turbinado sugar. when making some
rubs I'll had some of her dust too :icon_blush:

I would have to look at my notes but when trying to do a cross utilization of product strategy when I got into the biz again a few years ago (I wanted a rub good for the table, the sides i served, ribs, butt and brisket and sausage) I started with his rub. However I added a few things and the Cumin (Chaka Kahn) is not as prevalent because I kicked up the Tina Turner to eight parts so that kinda washes it out. Big Mista has some of mine.

The sauce was as horrid as i knew it would be when I was grinding up bacon bits.

So I ended having a balance of like 8 parts Tina Turner (paprika) 3 parts Little Richard 3 parts George Clinton (White Sugar and Salt) and the rest his stuff and few other things. This way when I want low salt like Pork Ribs and Butt I use it straight but when I want high salt like Brisket (for flavor osmosis) I add a layer of salt and Pepper and such.... the basic rub stays the same, I just adjust the salt and pepper to suit.

It's a rub with big flavor but the amount of cayenne was a little too high for my tastes.

I've used both, but as with others, I changed them up a little to suit, lighten the cumin and stretch out in another direction a bit.

I wasn't overly impressed with the sauce, as it was, there may have been a difference in the quality of the ingredients, that made mine not as good as the "real" version, but I won't go down that road again.

I liked the Holy Cow, but after the first time once I'd used all the first run up, I built a new version that the family likes better, so now you could call it Holy Cowish!

I have made Magic Dust using the recipe that Mike gives in his book several times and use it quite a bit. I also had somebody give me a gift of products from Mike Mills, including the Apple city sauce and Magic Dust. The recipe in the book and the rub that he sells as Magic Dust are two totally different animals.

Do you know what is in what he sell to make it different? Rub that is not the sauce.:confused:

Back