View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #1
RemoGaggi
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : RemoGaggi
Default Is there any reason to keep my Char-griller Akorn Kamado?

I recently built a UDS (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=160537) and it is awesome. Over the weekend, I used it for the first time experimenting with beef ribs and pork rib tips and it all came out great - better then what I could have done on my Char-griller Akorn.

Additionally, the UDS a lot easier to use than the Akorn. The Akorn is reasonably easy to use, but I always had to use a water pan or heat deflector, which is a hassle sometimes. Also, the Akorn tends to scorch the meat even at low temps because the charcoal is much closer to the meat. The cooking area is also very limited on the Akorn.

So, I'm considering selling the Akorn now. My initial thought is that my UDS can do everything (and more) that my Akorn can do. I don't ever grill at high heat on my Akorn. If I want high-heat, I just use my Weber gasser - much easier and faster. I also have Traeger pellet smoker that I love, so now I'm not sure if I should keep the Akorn.

I'm open to thoughts to help me decide what to do. Thanks.