cubed beef for chilli

ddweatherholtz

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Anyone have some suggestions on the best cut of beef to smoke and have some 1/2 inch tender cubes of beef for chilli. I know some brisket is a option, any others?

Go 1/2 coarse grind chuck 1/2 pork carnitas or country style pork ribs which are actually just sliced shoulder. Something magical about the two mixed together. Tried sirloin and brisket cubed and its just not good as pork. Nobody will ever know the difference unles you tell them.

I use 1/2" cubes of brisket point for my Big Boy Brisket Chili.

I also use course ground beef and ground sausage, but the cubed brisket goes in at the end.

Yep, was gonna say brisket point. Go one step further and make burnt ends with maybe just a little sauce and some chili seasoning. Let the little buggers smoke for a while after you chop up the point. Then you have a righteous addition to your chili.

One of the best pot's of chili I made for a neighborhood chili contest I used tri-tip. I found a recipe from the Terlingua chili championship that called for tri-tip and I wanted to try it out. I couldn't believe my luck when the grocer actually had tri-tip cut up in 1/2" thick steaks. It came out great and I ended up winning first place. Actually when I can't find tri-tip I like to use sirloin and chili grind chuck.

The best chili I've EVER made I used ungraded rib roast (3.99/lb). Cut the roast into 1 inch strips, rubbed and grilled to medium rare. Cubed the strips when tossing into the chili pot to cook down. It was AWESOME.

Brisket or chuck for me, and sometimes 50/50 cubed pork, usually from a butt (or pork steak).

I use 100% tri-tip, and have had very good luck with it thru the years.

I did some chili a couple of months back. I just used some stewing beef from the supermarket. Rubbed it with Plowboys Bovine Bold, put it in a pan and smoked in my UDS for a couple of hours with Mesquite chunks in the coals. The family loved it.

Back