• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

This ain't BBQ country around here.

I have a co-worker who is convinced that a smoke ring equals undercooked meat. Whenever I bring in pulled pork for our monthly food day/b-day celebration, I have to pull some for her that has no pink in it. Explaining it to her does no good.

If I am ever able to grill burgers, etc. for food day, I will make sure she gets a crunchy one. :wink:

I'm with you on this one. I know people like this and it drives me nuts. No matter how many times you tell them they simply do not believe you. They think it is under cooked.

LOL. My mother in law thinks meat has to be dry and gray in order to be done. When she first tried my smoked chicken, she freaked out because it was pink and juicy. She still wants her steaks well done but she's okay with the chicken now. My wife had to explain to her what the smoke ring on the brisket was.

I have a co-worker who is convinced that a smoke ring equals undercooked meat.
Have you ever asked her how it's possible for the center of the meat to be "done" (i.e. no pink) while the edge has somehow remained undercooked from an external heat source?:laugh:

LOL. My mother in law thinks meat has to be dry and gray in order to be done. When she first tried my smoked chicken, she freaked out because it was pink and juicy. She still wants her steaks well done but she's okay with the chicken now. My wife had to explain to her what the smoke ring on the brisket was.
My parents are the same way but as they're both in their 70s they grew up in a time when it was more necessary to cook meat very thoroughly, especially pork. I've gotten my dad to accept that a medium-well steak is OK but any pink other than a smoke ring in pork is still a no-no.

BTW, what's "gourment" coffee?

I have no problem with this warning. I think it seems to be a good educating statement in an area where BBQ might not be overly common. I live in an area with little BBQ tradition. I often do cooks for my place of work and will explain why my chicken legs or thighs have the smoke ring (pink hue).

Keep driving north...it gets worse! Lol!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

I have no problem with this warning. I think it seems to be a good educating statement in an area where BBQ might not be overly common. I live in an area with little BBQ tradition. I often do cooks for my place of work and will explain why my chicken legs or thighs have the smoke ring (pink hue).

I'll have to agree. For most folks down South (or in BBQ regions) it is a non issue. But a lot of people in regions where BBQ doesn't have a presence they rely on what they know or have been taught about meat. "Pink"=raw.

So the smart thing for businesses trying to break into these regions might do is to head this off at the pass. Put it out there, explain it, and move on.

I've seen that same warning as a large sign placed where you couldn't miss it in a bbq place in Ithaca, NY.

The whole "smoke ring and not being done" stuff puzzles me.

Why would someone think that the outer part of a piece of meat not be done (pink), but yet the center is done (not pink)?

Geez, I guess those people would never each pork chops that are pink in the middle.

wallace

Yup, there's that very same disclaimer on the menu at our local Q joint. I've even had people eating smoked chicken at my house go :eek: when they cut into their chicken and I have to explain that it's not undercooked.

I have a co-worker who is convinced that a smoke ring equals undercooked meat. Whenever I bring in pulled pork for our monthly food day/b-day celebration, I have to pull some for her that has no pink in it. Explaining it to her does no good.

If I am ever able to grill burgers, etc. for food day, I will make sure she gets a crunchy one. :wink:

It would hurt me to cook a burger beyond medium rare, but yep I'd make the dern thing a hockey puck out of spite! Have you ever though about bringing a meat temperature graph and taking an internal temperature of the meat coming off the the smoker? Some people you really gotta show them, but still sometimes that don't do. Sad stuff.

I love steak tartare though, so I guess I'm an outlier when it comes to raw meats. LOL.

My evil MIL thought the beautiful smoked turkey that I made at Thanksgiving was always raw because it was pink and juicy. She never ate much of it which just meant more for the rest of us. Can't fix stupid!

Note to self: Muricans don't know red meat starts out red, and is delicious pink.
Huh.:crazy:
:laugh:
:laugh:

Australia is NOT renowned for customer service, and the US is.
That being said, I know plenty of restaurants that train wait staff so, for example, if you order and omelette and complain that the middle is barely set and you want another because you don't eat uncooked egg then the staff will explain to your ignorant butt that a perfectly cooked omelette IS barely set in the centre, and you have a chice to order it another way but you will be charged for both.
I think that is fair.

Speaking of how I must do steaks and burgers for my wife and step daughter. Totally done. To me they are dried out and nasty.
Steaks the same way. Something about women's beef needs to be totally done to help prevent cancer. I just do what they ask.
Restraunts.....hardly ever go to them. Wife and family says my food always taste better....me....not so shure.

Speaking of how I must do steaks and burgers for my wife and step daughter. Totally done. To me they are dried out and nasty.
Steaks the same way. Something about women's beef needs to be totally done to help prevent cancer. I just do what they ask.
Restraunts.....hardly ever go to them. Wife and family says my food always taste better....me....not so shure.

I thought that most people thought charring meat to a pulp was a carcinogen itself? Looks like a lose/lose if you think undercooked meat causes cancer! :laugh:

Back