You favorite pork butt dry rub

Plowboys Yardbird for me. I also agree with CD, the rub does not penetrate much but I think it does add some flavor and a nice bark. I also like to injected along with the rub.

You don't need a fabcy rub to create bark on a butt Salt & Pepper gits it done.
DSCF0028Kissbutt.jpg

Damned, I should have written "self-made rub", because I can't really try or compare all those mentioned commercial rubs, since they are not available here (I only have that one can of Yardbird, which I got as a present by a fellow brethren).

The butt glitter seems to be promising, but we don't have celery seeds and mustard powder, so I'll have to put that one on hold.

Smokey is already prepared for tomorrow's 3-way session, and the lineup still is
#1 Lemon Pepper
#2 Carolina PP Butt Rub (featuring cumin)
#3 Austrian "Schweinsbratl" (featuring caraway)
I know about the discussion rub or not, simple S&P (or the slightly more advanced lemon pepper) would do the job as well, but typical rubs definitely add to the overall experience, and there is no doubt about the bark when the rub contains sugar as well.

Dude, if you have Byron's Butt Rub (I know that is a big if) then add turbinado sugar and black pepper.

If not, make a homemade seasoned salt, ala the Baron, and add a little turbinado.

No Byron's Butt Rub. Seasoned salt ala Baron? What's in except S&P? We don't have turbinado, just unrefined raw sugar, which is kind of light brown sugar.

I agree somewhat... If you pull the whole butt, and toss it all together, you get some bits from the inside, some bits of bark and some in-between. I think if you get a whole mouthful of bark, it's harsh, and a whole mouthful of non-rubbed innards, it's a bit bland.

With a good heavy rub created bark, I think it makes a huge difference with a proper tossing post-pull. That makes the best overall dynamic product, IMO.

I'm with you with that on brisket though - I find myself using less and less ingredients. Where I used to to a full on 12 ingredient rub, i'm down to using just salt, pepper, garlic powder and a bit of cumin. it's lovely.

i'm down to using just salt, pepper, garlic powder and a bit of cumin. it's lovely.
Can you provide a definite recipe? It surely is a matter of the right amounts of those ingredients, that Carolina rub looked promising, but it was not. I still don't have the hang of mixing on the fly.

Back