• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My First Crab Cakes

Big Mike

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I decided to do something a little different for dinner tonight. I am not a big seafood person but decided to make some Crab Cakes for dinner. I had never made them before but I figured they can't be much different than Salmon Patties.

The Crab Cakes were made using a little mayo, green onion, egg, panko, salt, pepper, old bay and cayenne.

I wanted a sauce for the Crab Cakes so I made a simple Roasted Red Pepper and Yogurt sauce. I just put 6oz of plain yogurt, two roasted red peppers, salt, pepper and a bit of lemon juice in the processor and mixed together

I also decided to fry some Okra. I battered them whole and fried them with the Crab Cakes.

Then I made some broccoli/cauliflower slaw using my homemade slaw dressing. It is a sweet and tangy dressing of mayo, sugar, vinegar, salt, celery seed and pepper

I added a little more green onion at the end, just cause I could.

Here is the end result.

DSCF0255_zpsf8417e9f.jpg

Originally Posted by Big Mike
I had never made them before but I figured they can't be much different than Salmon Patties.

Don't you be blaspheming crab cakes!!!
Yours look really good. Thank you for not adding a bunch of crap that's not necessary.

Sorry, my blasphemy was unintentional.:icon_shy

Lookin' good. Were you happy with the results? Sounds real good.

Yes I was. I probably could have used a bit more seasoning, but for my first try, I was very happy.

I was also very pleased with the Roasted Red Pepper and Yogurt sauce. I think it would go very well on some Gyros.

Dang Man! you could "Almost" be from Louisiana with that plate! Mighty Fine! :clap2:

Roll (hock spew) Tide! :thumb:

I gotta learn the proper technique for sucking crawfish heads first

Crab cakes are a big deal around here.

IMO the best cakes are made with jumbo lump meat, some mayo for a binder, a hint of old bay, salt, and that's it.

Heck yeah they are. I went to Baltimore for vacation and had a crab cake sammie from one of the local restaurants and it was the best seafood I've ever eaten. The cruise ship that left port there from then on had sub-par crab anything. :thumb:

IMO the best cakes are made with jumbo lump meat, some mayo for a binder, a hint of old bay, salt, and that's it.

This is about the same recipe we use. Only thing different would be that we substitute a very small amount of egg white for the binder instead of mayo. Otherwise..ditto. Crab meat is too mild to adulterate it with alot of spices in this house. If you can't taste the crab meat from the spices you might as well be eating a Micky D's burger :thumb:

Back