• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Tri-Tip with Death Dust Rub Butter

FamilyManBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Wanted to try some of the Death Dust I had ordered...also wanted to preserve the mouths of the family. My solution was to make a Death Dust Rub Butter to top the beef with...2 tablespoons Death Dust combined with 2 sticks of butter. Easy.

Fired up the mini for some reverse-sear action. Mixture of BBK and Comp K with oak for smoke. Tri-tips rubbed with a combo of Oakridge Competition Beef and Pork Rub and Santa Maria Steak Seasoning.
009.jpg

012.jpg

I usually pull the tri-tip off between 130-135 internal...do this by lifting off the center section...and let it rest while I bring the fire up for the sear.

Took these past 135. We cook tri-tip at one-day comps out here. The damn judges want me to overcook the beef. I've been turning in come GREAT meat...only to receive comments on the color, doneness etc. I MUST do better at the next contests...it's really making me mad!!

So, after a bit of a rest, the sear. Finished these at about 150 internal...usually try not to go much past 140.
017.jpg

And another rest.
021.jpg

Sliced, plated, with some rub butter on top (look judges, uniform color, no pink).
030-1.jpg

037.jpg

And for those that just had to have a little more to eat...this was my favorite part of the meal.
042-1.jpg

This was a VERY good meal. The rubs all blended together nicely. With the Death Dust in the butter everyone could control how much of the heat they got.

Out of the pouch the Death Dust hit me with a celery salt, sweet sugar, building heat combination...pretty much in that order. When mixed with the butter, things were mellowed a bit and the sweet seemed more prounounced. The rub butter was excellent on the meat, potatoes and the cornbread...good thing there is some left!! :becky:

Nice, Death Dust butter, great idea! Food looks so good, love that last pic of the DD buttered cornbread!

Fantastic :hungry: I was actually thinking about making up some jalapeno cornbread but now I may have to steal your butter idea too.

All the fat in the butter helped temper the effect of the pepper on the palate too I imagine. Nice meal!

Yessir! The DD didn't really wanna kick you arse so much in the butter...it was "happy" in there. Toned it down enough that Mrs. FamilyMan enjoyed her fair share as well.

Next up...chicken thighs marinated in a DD/buttermilk combo! :-D

Oh wow wow wow!That looks magnificent! You used one of my all time favorite combos with the Santa Maria and the Comp beef and pork! I use it on chuckies and man it makes for some of the best eating your family will have! I think your idea with the DD butter is ingenious and I will probably use it just like that since the heat will be too much for my wife, I think she will like it like that.

Great Pron man! Thanks for sharing.

Next up...chicken thighs marinated in a DD/buttermilk combo! :-D

Now that sounds like a plan right there! Of course I'd add a little more of the DD than you did with the butter, but I know you want the missus to enjoy it too!

Fantastic idea with the butter. Homerun in my book!

Thanks all! Gotta give credit to kcmike...followed his recipe for rub butter on the Oakridge BBQ site. I do think its a great way to regulate the heat of the Death Dust.

Will definitely make some more rub butters in the future.

OUTSTANDING looking meal! Y'all are so creative! I love watching what you guys (and gals) come up with!! Those tri's looked fabulous!!

And, Death Dust clarified butter lobster dip??!!??!! Get the FARK outt'a here! That sounds awesome. I'm stealing that one for sure too!

Back