• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Low salt rubs

mstokens

Reaction score
I've been playing around trying to come up with a low/no salt rub but just haven't come up with anything that I like... maybe because I just plain love salt :heh:

I'm looking for suggestions/recipes for low salt rubs to try and keep the ole blood pressure down and keep me from stokin' out.

Save yourself a ton of heartache and money and go directly to www.oakridgebbq.com and buy any of the rubs for sale. They are all unbelievably awesome and all are certified low salt except the Santa Maria and that is right on the edge of low salt.

My 2 favorites are the Santa Maria and the Game Bird and Chicken. (I add my own Kosher salt because I don't have HTN)

Trust me when I tell you, you will not be dissatisfied with any or all of what you buy. For $3.75 you can have a sample of everything delivered to your door and figure out what to get from there. KCMike is the owner and he posts here under that name. PM him and ask him about his rubs if you have questions after searching his site.

Good luck and happy smoking!:thumb:

I use this on ribs-

1/2 cup of turbinado sugar
1/4 cup of Hungarian paprika
1/4 cup of salt free chili powder
2 TBS of granulated garlic
2 TBS of ground black pepper
2TBS of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper

This is in the recipe section by Thirdeye. I've used it several times and like it.

No sugar/No salt rub
Recipe Number: 1195316146
Contributor: Third Eye
Rating: Recipe Unrated
Rate This Recipe
Review This Recipe Serves: NA
Calories Per Serving: NA
Preparation Time: NA
Difficulty: Easy
Print Friendly Version
Recipe is Unreviewed Ingredients:3 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon ground basil
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon red pepper
1 tablespoon mustard powder

If you love salt, there is no low-sodium recipe that will satisfy you. We have an inborn taste for salt and it needs to be adjusted if you are going to go low sodium. It can be done and is not hard, just start eating less salt than you want to, after a couple of months, bring the salt level up to where you want it to be, you will find it is good enough. Our palates have been inundated with salt for so long, we have become immune to it. I use low salt rubs at home, and keep a jar of Dizzy Dust No-salt around as well, but, if I was to eat a load of salt laden food, the low salt stuff quickly becomes bland.

For years I cooked with no salt, unless it was a critical ingredient, and only used sparingly after plating. As a result I'm more sensitive to it and use less naturally.

For years I cooked with no salt, unless it was a critical ingredient, and only used sparingly after plating. As a result I'm more sensitive to it and use less naturally.

I always knew you were a "sensitve" guy!!:p

I brine mine in salt/sugar prior to smoking and omit all sugar and salt from my rub (for ribs) and it seems to be just right in the end. Plus I get the other benefits of the brining.

Save yourself a ton of heartache and money and go directly to www.oakridgebbq.com and buy any of the rubs for sale. They are all unbelievably awesome and all are certified low salt except the Santa Maria and that is right on the edge of low salt.

I got the sample pack a few weeks back and gotta say that I liked them all. Still have the Santa Maria set aside for some ribeyes. I think the Secret Weapon rub was my favorite.

I got the sample pack a few weeks back and gotta say that I liked them all. Still have the Santa Maria set aside for some ribeyes. I think the Secret Weapon rub was my favorite.

Excellent! Like I said, if money is an issue at all. You are pretty much going to win by, buying your rubs from someone that has access to purveyors with the finest product and the best prices.

Good luck in your quest and even better wishes for good health!

amozon I ordered bacon salt very good it is low sodium excellant flavor comes in hickory flavor to.

My 2 favorites are the Santa Maria and the Game Bird and Chicken. (I add my own Kosher salt because I don't have HTN)

Trust me when I tell you, you will not be dissatisfied with any or all of what you buy. For $3.75 you can have a sample of everything delivered to your door and figure out what to get from there. KCMike is the owner and he posts here under that name. PM him and ask him about his rubs if you have questions after searching his site.

Good luck and happy smoking!:thumb:

Thank you for the suggestion, I spend more than $3.75 to try different spices all the time. Wanted a less salt rub seen your posting tonight and placed an order.:thumb:

Back