Contest Announcment People's Choice Rib Cook Off - Hickville, NY - September 17th, 2011

I'd also like to know about the side dishes.

I believe, but don't know for sure, that there will be a judged portion. I believe that it will be no garnish, minimum of three ribs, blind judging with CBJ's. Taste, visuals and toughness, w/ taste being the most heavily weighted.

Eric

I'd also like to know about the side dishes.

I believe, but don't know for sure, that there will be a judged portion. I believe that it will be no garnish, minimum of three ribs, blind judging with CBJ's. Taste, visuals and toughness, w/ taste being the most heavily weighted.

Eric

I'm not sure about sides yet. Maybe Sal will chime in on here and answer this question. If not, I will call him later to find out. I'm all for sides, but we'll see.

As far as the judged ribs, we will be giving each team a standard 9x9 styrofoam turn in box. Each team will put 3 ribs in the box for a 1:00pm turn-in. The window is from 1:00 to 1:10. We have not designated an official turn in location yet, but we will let the teams know at the 7:00am team meeting. NO GARNISH!

I'm not sure about sides yet. Maybe Sal will chime in on here and answer this question. If not, I will call him later to find out. I'm all for sides, but we'll see.

As far as the judged ribs, we will be giving each team a standard 9x9 styrofoam turn in box. Each team will put 3 ribs in the box for a 1:00pm turn-in. The window is from 1:00 to 1:10. We have not designated an official turn in location yet, but we will let the teams know at the 7:00am team meeting. NO GARNISH!

I hope it's ok to make sides.

No garnish.....so do I understand correctly that we are looking at three ribs sliding around in an otherwise empty box? I don't want to fark it up!

Chuck

Let's have a vote on garnish. Will the competing teams please reply with GARNISH or NO GARNISH?
If we go with garnish, it will be either parsley or leafy lettuce. If we go with no garnish you can put a piece of aluminum foil in the box or nothing at all.

I hope it's ok to make sides.

No garnish.....so do I understand correctly that we are looking at three ribs sliding around in an otherwise empty box? I don't want to fark it up!

Chuck

I believe that it's a minimum of three ribs.

If that's going to change, I certainly hope that it's open garnish for new teams.

Eric

I just spoke with Sal (one of the organizers) and here is his take on the side dishes.

There will be people there aside from us that are vending food, including the fire department themselves.

If we give away food, it has to be a small amount. Something akin to a toothpick with some chicken or a one ounce serving cup.

Has anyone thought about having a potluck team breakfast?

Eric

I just spoke with Sal (one of the organizers) and here is his take on the side dishes.

There will be people there aside from us that are vending food, including the fire department themselves.

If we give away food, it has to be a small amount. Something akin to a toothpick with some chicken or a one ounce serving cup.

Has anyone thought about having a potluck team breakfast?

Eric

I had a feeling that was what he was going to say about the sides. They are trying to raise money for the FD, so if we are giving food away that means less people will be buying food from them and less money raised.
It seems like they are ok with the teams giving away a small sample with the ribs, so please keep it to one small sample.
Restaurant Depot sells a sleeve of 2 oz plastic sauce cups, which are the perfect size for free samples (see image below).
As far as a pot luck breakfast, my new team: Jesus Loves Dunkin Donuts (formerly known as The Smoke 'N Barrel) will be bringing Cutty Sark and Smokin Irish will be bringing Jameson. If anyone else wants to bring a bottle of their choice, it will be the best pot luck breakfast ever!

Attachments

• 2oz-Sauce-Cup-Black.jpg
    2oz-Sauce-Cup-Black.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 108
Oh, one more thing.... it has been decided: NO GARNISH!
If a team chooses to, they can put a piece of tin foil in the turn in box for the judged portion of the contest.

Just as a FYI an email will be going out tomorrow afternoon to all registered teams with all the details for saturday if you don't receive it please please email me at co4cookoff@optonline.net

we still have room for a few more teams I need to know by Wednesday morning the latest

I'm probably making armadillo eggs but with stuffing of hard boiled eggs and hash browns instead of jalapenos and cheese.

Stop by when they smell done cause I'll be making a bunch.

Eric

As of now, the weather looks beautiful for Saturday. Sunny and cool, high of only 68.
It will be a nice change from the cold and rain at Willie-Palooza and the heat and rain at The Battle of the BBQ Brethren.
Looking forward to seeing old friends and making new friends that day.

Can't wait! Looking forward to my first competition!

Gary from EZCue

Back