Comp Rib Question

Buckscent

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So what are you cooking for comp ribs? St. Louis? baby's? Spare? and why

Depends on the sanctioning body. You and I are largely in a similar region. MBN definitely go with baby backs, cut 2 bones per piece. KCBS definitely go with St Louis spares, cut 1 bone per piece. They define what is the perfect rib differently.

GBA, baby backs, as it came largely from MBN guys. FBA, probably St Louis, dont know...

Unsanctioned; your guess is as good as anyones. I'd probably cook baby backs and have this overcooked to the point of falling off the bone tender.

Why? Because the sanctioning bodies define that perfect rib differently, and along the way the judges at the sanctioning bodies have become accustomed to a particular style of rib. Surprises often times are punished.

St. Louis only because that's what I like to eat...more meat per bone.

I would say that in KCBS contests cook what ever it is you cook best. I believe judges are used to seeing and scoring both loin backs and spares.

We brought the most beautiful baby backs to an IBCA contest once...trust me, there you HAVE to cook spares - only thing allowed. Made a run to the store Saturday morning.

I like the St. Louis because that is what I'm comfortable cooking, and they've been doing me alright so far. I think that they look better in a box as well.

FBA cook what you cook best; that said most of the ribs that I see are usually baby backs. Personally I dont care what rib it is, if it looks good and tastes good then the appropriate score will follow.

Back