I Went for the Lg. Egg: Mistake?

Mass. Wine Guy

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I went today to a nearby BGE dealer and bought a large Egg, the nest and plate holder. Now, I'm wondering if I'll regret not having chosen the XL Egg.

The large has 255 sq. inches of cooking space on an 18 inch diameter rack. The XL is 452 sq. in on a 24 inch rack.

Most of the time it's just me, my wife and son having some steaks, burgers, chicken, etc. Not an army. But sometimes we do have a lot of people over.

Does anyone here regret not getting the XL egg after they got the large? If I had the XL and just wanted to cook a steak, would it be impractical, would I use a lot more charwood?

Thanks very, very much.

I've had a LG for close to a month now. I haven't cooked for any "crowds" yet but if need be, get a grill extender.

I think a large is the perfect size unless you're doing a lot of large cooks.

The grill extenders are vertical. If you're grilling at high heat, does food that is higher up cook well? Burgers, steaks, etc.?

Thanks very much.

I have the same situation with just three of us. The XL seemed to be a little too big for how much we cook 95% of the time. But, I just cook a 12lb brisket and 10 lb pork butt at the same time. Had no problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
You will be fine :thumb: If you love it, you will want to buy a second for occasional overflow :becky:

You will be satisfied with the large. Spend the extra money on eggcessoories.

Don't get buyers remorse, you did good, yesterday, you were talking about an Old Smokey. Enjoy your BGE, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

How many people max, do you need to feed at one time? And what will you cook to do that?

For sausage, hotdogs, steak etc. it doesn't take long, and shouldn't be a problem to send the food out in waves unless you have a huge condiment station. For steak, it may be a little different and that may call for a larger cooker if you are cooking thick, large cuts (t-bone, porterhouse, ribeye etc.).

UDS?

The majority of the time I'm just cooking for me, my wife and son, and maybe a friend of his or two. If I have 10 to 16 people over, I guess I wouldn't be doing an hours-long smoke, anyway. On the BGE catalog there's a photo of Kevin Rathbun standing beside what looks like a large Egg, so I think I'm fine. That suggestion for a small kettle for overflow is also a good idea. I'm pretty sure that I could fit four or five nice steaks on the large.

www.ceramicgrillstore.com

check out the adjustable rig.

this was a full tenderloin on a large bge. this is on the adjustable rig without the top grate on.

588b182c.jpg

You will be fine with the large. A grill extender should work great should you need the extra space. As far as the XL BGE, I'd rather have a XL Primo oval. They look much more practical than a XL BGE.

I had the same problem as you when I bought my XL last week. I posted the L or XL question to the folks here and everyone was more than helpful.

Although I was left feeling even more torn between the two. My ultimate thought was you can't go wrong with either one. If I wouldn't have gotten such a great deal on the XL I would have gone large for sure.

I have yet to un-box the behemoth. I figure I'll build a table before I start lugging it around. It's killing me not to use it though.

Don't freak out yet. At least wait for buyers remorse to occur naturally that's my plan.

As others have said there are a ton of accessories you can buy to get more meat on there and they're a lot cheaper than the ones for the XL.

The good news for you is you may have an excuse to buy or build another smoker!

Peace

You can get a large and a small for about the same money as an XL.Way more versatile.I have a large and use my weber kettle for a backup if needed.Haven't needed it yet.

Buy a cheap kettle as a side kick.

Or better yet, do your part for the environment, and rescue a nice 22" Weber OTS for a supplemental cooker. :thumb:

I picked up mine for $20, and spent less than 15 minutes getting it in cooking condition.

Back