Some amazing tri-tips

Unique1

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I made some amazing tri-tips over the weekend. Only my fourth and finest attempt. Thanks to some recipes here and on Weber they turned out perfect!

IMG_2134.jpg

IMG_2135.jpg

IMG_2136.jpg

IMG_2138.jpg

IMG_2143.jpg

The above was the smaller tri-tip. Below is the larger. Should have pulled the smaller earlier as it was closer to medium, the larger was almost perfect and medium rare, closer to rare. Man was that yummy!!!

IMG_2145.jpg

Nicely done UD. Thats second one looks incredible. I noticed the other day that UW Provisions is carrying tri-tip regularly now, although frozen. Might be a little less spendy.

Since we are lifelong buds, a little advice for your WSMs: Build a little table to get them about 16" off the ground. Really saves the back when working with the WSMs.

Those are fantastic, is there a better looking cut of meat when sliced medium rare? I doubt it.

Those look super fine.

I honestly haven't tried making them yet but after seeing how beautiful those are, I might have to take a stab at this soon.

Really nice work!

look fantastic - what temp was the WSM running?

Yep, a good, smoked tri-tip is hard to beat. Those look really nice, especially the bigger one. Living in California, I've had more than my fair share of bad tri-tip, but it's almost like something people have never had before when I smoke them to a perfect med. rear and serve. Great job!

look fantastic - what temp was the WSM running?

I was low on time. So I was running it around 325. Took about an hour. Then I tented in foil and wrapped in a towel for 20 mins. Should have pulled at 10. Would have been perfect then!

Thanks for all the kudos, love me some 'q'!!!

Unique1, I had trouble finding tri-tip through conventional grocery stores. Any advice on a source in Wisconsin?

Those look great! I have been having trouble finding tri-tip in my area also. I asked about them at the meat counter at Sams Club and the guy didn't know what I was talking about...

Those look great! I have been having trouble finding tri-tip in my area also. I asked about them at the meat counter at Sams Club and the guy didn't know what I was talking about...

Hi JM,

I have found them at Trader Joes in the North Charlotte store. A little pricey at over $6 per pound, though.

Hi JM,

I have found them at Trader Joes in the North Charlotte store. A little pricey at over $6 per pound, though.

I can tell you right now that tri-tip is not worth $6/pound. :doh: Holy smokes, that's brutal. With inflation the way it is right now, I'm not seeing it under $3.98 much at all, but I can only bring myself to pay that if it's trimmed. Otherwise, 20% of your weight will be in a big slab of fat on the bottom that you can't see in the package. If I'm spending $6/pound on beef, it's gonna be for some ribeyes!

Unique1, I had trouble finding tri-tip through conventional grocery stores. Any advice on a source in Wisconsin?

As someone else said Trader Joes. I think I paid about $6 a pound for it, trimmed weight. No fat at all. That is kinda high, but well worth it to me.

Also Harbormaster said it's available at UW Provisions now. Not sure what it cost per pound but I will be looking into this week. Just fixed the last leftovers for my business partner. He enjoyed it too (four sammiches!).

I prefer angus fajitas over rib eye steak. The flavor is 10 times better than rib eye.

Forgot to mention, the last three years I've been buying my tri-tips from Sams in Madison, wi. This year, no tri-tips yet. They were about $4.99 per pound. Trimmed. But they were marinated. I would wash them when I got them before I put them on the smoker. Not good I know, but it worked. When I called Sams yesterday, their "meat dept guru" had never heard of them, and said they never sold them, ever. Wrong. But I wasn't going to argue with an idiot.

Dan

Well anyway... that's a very nicely done Tri-Tip!

Cheers!

Bill

Looks good,to bad I can't eat Red meat anymore. I love tri-tip.

Back