• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Legends of BBQ

Gersidi

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
If you guys had to make a list of people who were/are most influential in the BBQ world, whether it be competition, restauranteurs, authors, etc, who would you include?

gotta hav a place for Mike Mills,Billy Bones,Johnny Trigg,Myron Mixon,too many legends in my book for me to name

Whew! This is gonna be interesting...I imagine you're gonna get answers form all across the board...local, regional, national, and international BBQ Legends...but...what the hey...here are a few of mine. In no order of priority...

Ray Lampe...aka Dr. BBQ
Adam Perry Lang
Paul Kirk
Todd Johns
David Butcher
Chris Lilly
Bob Gibson
Mike Mills
David Klose
Jim Minion
Cheryl & Bill Jamison
Brian Moriarty
Steve Sanders
Johnny Trigg
Myron Mixon
Harry Soo
Chris Capell
Darien Kosmo

These are off the top of my head and based on how they have influenced me and the way I do BBQ...some are historic legends...some are local legends...some are cutting edge...some are making influences as I type...:p

Last edited:
I'm too old to get impress. I'm sure there are brethens on here can cook Q just as good as any of these guys.

I'd put Bigabyte up there.
You owe me a new keyboard!
emote_spew.gif

I was trying to line up a list, and many of those names are already here (except the Neely's), particularly what JD had. I think Gary and Carolyn Wells deserve a spot up there.

You owe me a new keyboard!
emote_spew.gif

Sorry about that, but other than my wife, you've had more influence on my cooking than anyone -- not that that is a good thing mind you. You are a super resource on recipes and dishes prepared and considering your own tutorials and spice reference guide you've compiled, I don't think there's much argument against. Most people look at the humorous side, but there are a lot of facets that we should all appreciate. These other people are just names. Try getting a response from them at 1:00am. I know if I have a cooking problem then, you'll write back within 5 minutes.

In all seriousness I would put Phil Rizzardi towards the top of this list. I believe this forum has done as much, or more, for the expansion of BBQ over the years as anyone on any of the lists so far.

We are talking about influence here. And this forum has had a tremendous influence on the BBQ culture in a American and elsewhere.

Well Larry I would put you before those guys or some of the other people that post here. At least if I had a question I would come here

In all seriousness I would put Phil Rizzardi towards the top of this list. I believe this forum has done as much, or more, for the expansion of BBQ over the years as anyone on any of the lists so far.

We are talking about influence here. And this forum has had a tremendous influence on the BBQ culture in a American and elsewhere.
I agree 110%. And I'm not just saying that because of the whole thing with Phil's jock.

There is a BBQ hall of fame.

Guys I would add would be Rod Gray and Darren Warth

I would say Adam Perry Lang, Mike Mills, Steve Reichlen, etc...all the books i read and have been totally impressed with
PHUBAR absolutely amazes me - not just with BBQ tho, with everything
Cowgirl should be listed as an American treasure and cataloged in the Library of Congress

still haven't gotten there yet... but maybe some of the Hill Country BBQ guys...

gotta be around 200-300 collective years of grinding it out every day

Roy Perez, Vencil Mares, Edgar Black, Rick Schmidt, Bobbie & Louie Mueller etc....

Last edited:
Back