Finished the First UDS

S

snorulz

Well I got my first UDS done. It turned out much better than I thought it would. It is a christmas gift and I hate to give it away, especially since I don't have the one I am keeping done yet. I started both and this one was turning out so good that I couldn't stop. Here are some pictures to prove it happened. I used a oxy/acetylene torch to heat the drum to burn off the red liner. The pic of the inside is what It looked like after I oiled it. I did nothing on the inside besides wipe the burnt liner off with a paper towel. The torch warped the metal but I think it gave it a cool and unique look. It did not warp the top ring and the lid is kind of a press fit so it is very snug.

100_2264.jpg

100_2265.jpg

100_2267.jpg

100_2268.jpg

100_2270.jpg
100_2269.jpg

Nicely done, it is pretty interesting with the warped sides, pretty cool.

NICE! You should name it "The Turtle"/"Terrapin" either one works.Very UNIQUE!:thumb:

Nice. I love the welded grill supports. Very classy!

Nice! Now get it dirty and start collecting parts for another one! You can never have too many drums!

Nice job! Fire it off and throw us some pron:-D

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I love welding so I decided to weld everything I could. The angle iron was free and I didn't want to have to buy stainless steel bolts. I managed to get all four level which made me happy. The only reason the charcoal basket looks so good is my dad owns a sheet metal shop and they have a tool that rolls sheet metal so I was able to get a perfect circle. I am still trying to find a better way to hold the ash pan to the charcoal basket. The metal in the pan is way to thin to weld. This project was a blast to make! Cost around $70 not counting the acetylene and oxygen.

I will get it dirty this weekend (on the inside only though). I want to season it before I give it to its new owner. I also have to burn the galvanized coating off the expanded metal. I am going to have to be careful though. The clear coat is only rated to 500°F, so I will try seasoning it at 400 in the center of the barrel to protect the paint.

I like the turtle shell look as well.

Good looking UDS - and as others have said - it is time to get them dirty..........

I used 4 long bolts for my legs and a large pizza pan for my ash catcher. I drilled 4 holes in the pan then put the bolts through it and attached it with washes and nuts to the basket.

Speaking of ash pans, what did you use for your pan?

it looks like a small cheap table top charcoal grill minus the legs and grate. i used them for my UDS as well. i got em at menards for about 5 bucks. the only thing i did different was i drill 3/4 holes every 5 inches around the perimeter to help facilitate air flow and my coal basket is welded to a piece of expanded that rides on top of the ash pan, with the edges rolled over and rodded to keep things together when i lift it in and out.

that looks great.
i would give the outside a metal coating (clear of course) , so it stays like that!

Back