Portion question... feeding 60 people - pork butt

bandityo

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
How many pounds of pork butt do you feel I need to feed 60 people..mix adults and children. There will be other sides as well as dessert. Butt will be served on buns.

What say ye brethren ?!

David

How many pounds of pork butt do you feel I need to feed 60 people..mix adults and children. There will be other sides as well as dessert. Butt will be served on buns.

What say ye brethren ?!

David

I get about 16 Adult servings per butt when having sides. These are 9-11lb butts.

If its the only meat being served I'd plan for about 1/3 lb per person. If you start out with 40 lbs raw butts you should end up with enough for 60 persons.

Wow. I was literally just about to post an eerily similar thread. Gonna have an event of 50-60ish people and was gonna ask what the bretheren thought.

I know when I do fajitas and things of that nature, I typically calculate half a pound per person.

So I was thinking probably three butts (probably 12 pounds or less each) and also throw in some chicken thighs for those who don't dig on swine.

What other sides were you gonna do? Standard potato salad, cole slaw, beans type stuff? Onions, pickles, jalapenos? What about appetizers?

It is better to over estimate slightly and then if there is extra (See I didnt say leftovers because there are never leftovers.) Just get a vacuum sealer and bag up and freeze for winter or a rainy day!

I'm basically, in the same boat as David, however I will also be having brisket and chicken,

I'm having a party this weekend..........61 people confirmed, but may go to 65. I am having pork butt (pulled) and brisket (sliced, but on the thin side, not competition thick). I am planning on one 5 oz sandwich of each meat per person (40 lbs raw of each meat). Five ounces is a pretty big sandwich, which should guarantee some leftovers or night time snacks for the people that stay a long time. We are also having mixed chicken pieces and several sides and desert. This is probably too much food, but there will be about 25 of my son's friends (all around 21), so they may have a large appetite or at least take more than what is normal........who knows, I don't do this stuff for a living. I just end up cooking more than I need.

Should I plan on the more typical 4 oz sandwiches, considering all of the other food? That would eliminate a brisket and butt!

Thanks,

I just did a 40 person feed with just under 30 lbs. Had about 2-3 lbs left over. Recommend you figure about 3/4 lbs. per person pre-cooked weight.
Randy

You need about 22.5 lbs of finished pulled pork. I usually figure 6 oz. average per person when it is a mixed crowd.

I've always figured 1/4 lb per person and always had plenty. Get the normal size buns or smaller. If you get the large buns, your going to run out.

All good advice.
I've done a few cooks for medium sized parties like yours, and have always had ample left overs by using this formula.

how much uncooked pork to buy = # of guests divided by 2.
Good luck. You'll be the star of the party.

I've got a 30-35 person cook coming up, too, and really appreciate the banter here. I see a lot of pre-cooked and post-cooked numbers thrown around. What is the typical reatinage of a pork butt? I thought I read here that it was around 50-60%, or a 10 lb butt precooked butt will give you 5-6 lbs of cooked meat to serve. Is that about right? Does brisket have a similar retainage? Thanks in advance.

I agree with an avg. 6 oz cooked portion per person for a meal as I think 8 oz is a bit much. It would be different for an extended afternoon/night party as you will have a lot of grazing, but for a 2 hour meal it would be less.

I cooked 10 butts (avg 7 lbs precooked) and fed 200 people at church. kids ate dogs and there were other sides as well. I figure a 7 lb butt usually yields around 5 lbs of meat. I thinks 6 butts (seems like the ones at sams avg around 6-7 lbs each) would be plenty. that should be around 80 sandwiches easy.

I usually overkill on this, I'd say 40 lbs raw meat should do it, but I usually go 1 butt over what I think I will need, that way theres sure to be enough and if there are leftovers, oh well!! freeze it for later:-D

I just had a party yesterday and there were 62 people. The party went from 3 PM to about 1:30 AM. Here was the main menu and what was left (all weights are based on the raw weight):

- 42 pounds of pork butt - 5 butts (post trimmed weight): 3 butts were left (~ 24 pounds)

- 40 pounds of brisket: 5 briskets (post trimmed weight): 1/3 of a brisket was left (~ 3 pounds)

- 100 mixed broasted chicken pieces (catered): ~ 50 pieces left

- 8 pounds of cole slaw: ~ 2 pounds left

- 4 pounds of german potato salad: ~ 1 pound left

- ~ 8 pounds of pasta salad: ~ 3 pounds left

- ~ 4 pounds of beans: nearly all gone

- 96 ears of corn: about half left

- 100 mini corn breads: 20 left

This was a lot of food and there was desert, snacks, drinks, etc..

The brisket was a big surprise.........nearly finished! I would have bet that at least 3 butts would have been finished. If I had to do it again I would cook only 3 butts, 75 pieces of chicken, 70 ears of corn and I would leave everything else the same.

The deserts consisted of a full sheet cake, chocolate covered bananas and strawberries, nuts and peanut brittle. We also had a pony keg of root beer, which went great with the vanilla ice cream........black cows! :-D The kids loved 'em and so did I!

If this were a business I would probably have to cut it closer, but I don't mind some leftovers.

Back