BBQ in the Park - La Porte City, IA

B

Buster Dog BBQ

The organizer for this contest asked me to put the word out for more teams. This contest is a Saturday/Sunday contest and is actually only 15 miles down the road from the Waterloo, IA Fri/Sat contest. Here is the web site if you want more info http://bbqinthepark.com/. They are also paying out top 10.

If your on the fence for this one, give it a shot. It's smaller and the vibe is really nice.
And Roy goes out of his way for BBQ, he is deserving of the effort.
Ed

This event has brought in some great teams in the past. We've cooked it twice and had a great time but unfortunately it doesn't look like our schedule allows this year.

Yep, it's a darn good contest. If you're doing W'loo you oughta make the weekend a "two-fer". It's thier third year as a sactioned comp and my third year judging it.

This will be our first year at it.
I'm told there are no problems getting parked in LaPorte after attending Waterloo ???? he said some come down right after cooking then head back to Waterloo for awards. ????

Balls Casten said:
I'm told there are no problems getting parked in LaPorte after attending Waterloo ???? he said some come down right after cooking then head back to Waterloo for awards. ????
Yep. That's easy to do and plenty of time as long as you don't need hours to clean up.

I know we are planning on being there but I'm not sure if I've sent in the check yet (check book is at home)...:doh:

Yep. That's easy to do and plenty of time as long as you don't need hours to clean up.
That's our plan!

Roy is pretty aware of who is also cooking in W'Loo and what size rig each team has so he allows room for those teams. We just pulled down after awards in WLoo, so that can be done too.

Let the W'Loo organizer also know you are doing LPC so she places you in a spot that can be easy to get out of up there.

Roy is pretty aware of who is also cooking in W'Loo and what size rig each team has so he allows room for those teams. We just pulled down after awards in WLoo, so that can be done too.

Let the W'Loo organizer also know you are doing LPC so she places you in a spot that can be easy to get out of up there.
Thanks for the heads up!

Out of the 35 teams that did W'Loo last year, I believe 22 also did LPC.

Out of the 35 teams that did W'Loo last year, I believe 22 also did LPC.

My food never showed at LPC last year.... I think I forgot how to cook in that 15 mile drive...

Have fun guys. I enjoyed doing the double header. Not quite as fun as the Caravan of Carnage... From Milwaukee to Dubuque. But a close second...

OK 21 1/2 teams :boxing:

We learned to cook chicken during those 15 miles

Yep. Thats what we did. Pulled to LPC and as you pull into the park, there is a water station you can refill your tanks. It's sweet!

We sucked both places but I'm a glutton for punishment so we will be back.

Since we have been on the prize money kick lately I'll ask...whats the deal with this one? Payout is likely close to 50% of the entry fees? It doesn't appear to be a high cost place. Not complaining just curious, perhaps were raising money for a good cause, etc.

This will be our first weekend back after a two-week maternity/paternity leave (assuming the baby comes on time). We plan to have the new "Cru" member in tow for both W-loo and La Porte.

I am curious as well Joe. Didn't they charge for electricity as well? I think they only had 4 Porta-Johns, which they did not empty until the en of the event--they were yucky:puke:. Still a GREAT laid-back contest, just seemed a relatively low-cost one...

I am curious as well Joe. Didn't they charge for electricity as well? I think they only had 4 Porta-Johns, which they did not empty until the en of the event--they were yucky:puke:. Still a GREAT laid-back contest, just seemed a relatively low-cost one...

Yep, and $25 for extra space...$225 for us....agreed, I really liked the settting, attitude, etc

Smokin' Joe said:
We sucked both places but I'm a glutton for punishment so we will be back.

Since we have been on the prize money kick lately I'll ask...whats the deal with this one? Payout is likely close to 50% of the entry fees? It doesn't appear to be a high cost place. Not complaining just curious, perhaps were raising money for a good cause, etc.
I think it was the minimum listed amount required by KCBS. I think that is why some contest haven't posted prize money. I could be wrong. Roy did tell me they are paying to 10 spots not 5.

Would you guys quit it, I'm tired of axing Jeeves what the hill your talkin about.
shalom aleichem
Ed

Back