BOD Meeting Vote - What's Your Opinion?

Well now this is out in the open, who was it? What did they cook? I also agree it is no big deal they announced it. You still need to duplicate. If they followed a cookbook or recipe, it's probably not their dish anyway!

It is a very big deal if the cook thinks it is...

He's a great cook, a great friend, and has all the credentials...

Ancillary category or not, he makes his money cooking, and should not have his secrets broadcasted if he does does not want to....

This is not as minimal as you make it, Steph. What brought it to the board was an ancillary, but that was not the issue presented to the Board. We have rules agains photographs, with certain limited exceptions for media. I just can't imagine, if I posted descriptions of the slabs.com boxes that you would not be all over me.

But now the Board said it is permissible in all categories!

I'm going to call you on this one for putting a spin on the facts. The Board did no such thing. The fact is that the decision was not to add yet another rule to the already burgeoning book Reps have to follow. There was no advisory issued "saying it is permissible" as you implied.

I for one would rather have KCBS Reps that have the flexibility to use common sense and make decisions on the fly rather than try to turn them into Rule Lawyers who spend their time looking up regulations in a thick book. Yes, there is the potential for bad calls to be made when every possible occurrence is not anticipated and controlled by written policy, but that's why we have the Board to provide oversight and clarification as needed. If there are bad Reps who repeatedly make mistakes, the solution is not to attempt to hedge them in with rules, but rather to put a mechanism in place to remove Reps.

We have many qualified folks who are waiting for new Rep positions to open, and a fair number of Reps who are not being invited back to contests (a sure sign of dissatisfaction from the organizer). Stagnation of the Rep pool is not a good thing, and we should look at finding ways to eliminate it IMO.

I'm going to call you on this one for putting a spin on the facts. The Board did no such thing. The fact is that the decision was not to add yet another rule to the already burgeoning book Reps have to follow. There was no advisory issued "saying it is permissible" as you implied.

I for one would rather have KCBS Reps that have the flexibility to use common sense and make decisions on the fly rather than try to turn them into Rule Lawyers who spend their time looking up regulations in a thick book. Yes, there is the potential for bad calls to be made when every possible occurrence is not anticipated and controlled by written policy, but that's why we have the Board to provide oversight and clarification as needed. If there are bad Reps who repeatedly make mistakes, the solution is not to attempt to hedge them in with rules, but rather to put a mechanism in place to remove Reps.

We have many qualified folks who are waiting for new Rep positions to open, and a fair number of Reps who are not being invited back to contests (a sure sign of dissatisfaction from the organizer). Stagnation of the Rep pool is not a good thing, and we should look at finding ways to eliminate it IMO.

So if I read you right you would kick out bad reps. What if a rep has made many mistakes over this summer, do you feel they need to be eliminated or re trained?

Hey Jeff S,

You have picked up more than a few votes based on this thread, congrats...

All my best--JH

So if I read you right you would kick out bad reps. What if a rep has made many mistakes over this summer, do you feel they need to be eliminated or re trained?

Since I am not a Rep and don't know the inner workings of the job I'm not qualified to say. At first blush I would be inclined to think some sort of review committee would handle this. In my mind, it's not so much how the system would work, but rather that there IS a system to weed out the chaff. Right now a bad Rep is just recirculated to new contests each year, only to be thrown back again when the organizers of last year's contests don't ask them back. As long as they don't commit some gross error that causes enough furor to merit BoD attention they can continue to bump along under the radar indefinitely.

I guess it just seems crazy to me that there are some really great, qualified folks who would love to become Reps who are frozen out, yet I see contests from some regions reaching farther and farther away for Reps because they are dissatisfied with who is available in their area.

I guess it just seems crazy to me that there are some really great, qualified folks who would love to become Reps who are frozen out, yet I see contests from some regions reaching farther and farther away for Reps because they are dissatisfied with who is available in their area.[/QUOTE]

That there just isnt true, I fly reps in because I believe in them and they do a good job for me. There are good and bad reps in your area as well as mine, you have to decide who you want. The KCBS office seems to have been pushing a couple of reps hard last year. One made many mistakes.

Thanks

That there just isnt true, I fly reps in because I believe in them and they do a good job for me. There are good and bad reps in your area as well as mine, you have to decide who you want. The KCBS office seems to have been pushing a couple of reps hard last year. One made many mistakes.

Thanks

That's exactly my point Arlie. Of course we all have favorite Reps, and if you can afford to fly people in and they don't mind the travel time then good for you. What I'm talking about is areas where you have contests changing reps every year as they shuffle through the deck looking for a good one.

And even if we had 100% perfect Reps in the pool today, eventually attrition will leave the organization facing a shortage of experienced people. Perhaps if a certain number of interested people were allowed into the training program regardless of contest demand. As cooks we compete against each other, as organizers we compete to get team signups, perhaps a bit of competition between Reps would inspire higher performance overall?

Dunno, I'm just spitballing there, but my main point is having a mechanism for keeping the quality of the Rep pool high would be A Good Thing.

Last edited:
The way to fix that is training. Organizers need to plan on getting the info to gain the best reps they can even if they have to fly them in. I have given reps a chance, some didnt show up till so late on Friday they just did make the extra categories. They since have been kicked out.

I am not saying I have the best reps, that would not necessary not be true but we work well together. That is why teams often ask who the rep is too, maybe not coming to the contest if you have a certain rep? I have been ask about one rep so much I could never use them for all the mistakes they have made and yes they are from your area as well as mine! Some reps just dont want to follow the rules. I know one rep that still can not use the PC and has been a rep for many years letting the other rep carry them. You would be surprised if you knew who it was!

Having the best Reps will add teams to your contest
We have all seen that happen

Hey Jeff S,

You have picked up more than a few votes based on this thread, congrats...

All my best--JH

Jeff, it's just a matter of respecting cooks. While it may not be important to some, it is to others and should be taken seriously.

Jeff, it's just a matter of respecting cooks. While it may not be important to some, it is to others and should be taken seriously.

And the beauty of the deal is that's the way you have always been.

I find it funny how some people come out of the woodwork around election time telling everybody how "they too look out for the cooks"....my arse.

And the beauty of the deal is that's the way you have always been.

I find it funny how some people come out of the woodwork around election time telling everybody how "they too look out for the cooks"....my arse.

Exactly...

Arse? :roll:

And I agree about Jeff.

I was trying to be polite and courteous of others.... MY ASS! lol!

Why start now??!!!!! :icon_shy Of course I am just harassing Steph.... As I would prefer Steph to speak out more often. She is like Charles Schwab in my book....

I do agree how we get folks coming out of the woodwork at election time. About what a great friend they are to the cookers... But they never vote that way.

I do not think that as a Rep I should have the privilege of describing your turn in box in the four meat categories or any other to a judge, another cook or anyone. Now I am at liberty to take notes of a cooks and without any recourse tell or publish what a cook does. I think it should be proprietary to the cook. Let the cook share if he desires. This allows a KCBS contest rep to be in charge. I guess the price of cooking classes may go down, just ask the rep about a specific cook's turn in's.

But the Board said is ok. That is the rule of the Board. And therefore I will support what the board said.

I hope that Brethren will finally pay attention to who is looking out for the cooks and who does not.

Merl

Whoa...wait a minute here. Rich and I have been watching this thread and we finally have to speak up. First of all, why would you or a rep even say that you could or woud do that?! At any given contest, it is always up to the cook to disclose his/her box contents. We, as reps, hardly ever take control of the ceremonies anyway.

But my most serious inquiry here is what do you mean, "just ask a rep about a specific cook's turn-in?" When repping, we seldom have time to "check out" anyone's entry. We are WAY too busy with entering scores and making sure judges are being fair. To actually stop and check out a specific cook's turn in is usually when it is a DQ! We don't have time to check out the competition as a cooker! That's not why we're there. I am angry that you even suggested reps do that. Maybe some do, but it is totally bad form to even suggest ALL of us do that! :mad:

Rich and Bunny Tuttle
KCass BBQ Team established 1987
KCBS Contest Reps
CBJ Instructors

Whoa...wait a minute here. Rich and I have been watching this thread and we finally have to speak up. First of all, why would you or a rep even say that you could or woud do that?! At any given contest, it is always up to the cook to disclose his/her box contents. We, as reps, hardly ever take control of the ceremonies anyway.

But my most serious inquiry here is what do you mean, "just ask a rep about a specific cook's turn-in?" When repping, we seldom have time to "check out" anyone's entry. We are WAY too busy with entering scores and making sure judges are being fair. To actually stop and check out a specific cook's turn in is usually when it is a DQ! We don't have time to check out the competition as a cooker! That's not why we're there. I am angry that you even suggested reps do that. Maybe some do, but it is totally bad form to even suggest ALL of us do that! :mad:

Rich and Bunny Tuttle
KCass BBQ Team established 1987
KCBS Contest Reps
CBJ Instructors

I may be wrong, but I didn't interpret Merl's post the way you did.. To me, It seems you both are actually in agreement as Merl appeared to just be stating that the current decision would technically allow it (although not make it right or not what he agrees with).

I may be wrong, but I didn't interpret Merl's post the way you did.. To me, It seems you both are actually in agreement as Merl appeared to just be stating that the current decision would technically allow it (although not make it right or not what he agrees with).
somebody on kcbs board misinterpret somethink:eek:

Jeff, I'm following along with you and Ray that this is probably not really the rep's place to be announcing what was turned in. My question is, wouldn't that be the type of thing that should be handled in committee? I don't know what the procedures for issuing a rep advisory is, but I would think that as committee chair, Carol should be able to forward a note to reps to remind them of what their duties are and are not.

I think that telling the crowd what was turned in doesn't hurt anyone anymore than advertising your sponsors products. I can see how organizers would want to tell people what it was that won their contest. I don't think its the reps place to tell the public, but I could see how KCBS might want that information in a post comp report from the rep.

Sean,

You are correct. The rep would be contacted and reminded this is not proper. It is not for the board to take action on it. Reps need to act responsibly and most do. It is not necessary for many un-needed advisories. And yes I am defending my vote for that reason.

Back