Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

The trailer is beautiful! That used to be my dream years ago before I retired. Taking a look inside yours is as close as I'll ever get to fulfilling that dream. I don't have the health or stamina to pull it off now. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, the trailer is less than 10 years old and has hardly any miles on it since the owner basically just used it to serve things like hot dogs and nachos across the street at the soccer fields. The yellow paint job was just completed two weeks ago. And the best part is it just got it's health department license renewed a few months ago, and by the same health inspector that I had at the restaurant.

But it's a 6x14" or so with electric and gas. Has two steam tables, small fridge, freezer, hot water tank, three bay sink, flat top griddle, and all the other goodies. Going to bring one of my cooks to come look at it tomorrow to see if I'm overlooking anything, but may pull the trigger on it as early as this week.

You know your business and what works for you better than I or anyone here does, but I am wondering if that may be a little too small? The original guy selling nachos and hot dogs is a little different than you selling BBQ. I know you mentioned instantly outgrowing our smoker and in hindsight would have gone larger, I am wondering if this trailer ends up being the same situation. Of course if it is THAT good of a deal than maybe it makes up for it. I really don't know, just playing devils advocate here.

I've had that since day one. Got 4 cameras going and they can be checked remotely.

And I dodged a bullet today. Had some insane weather come through last night and there is damage all over town and tens of thousands of people without power. I thought for sure when I came in this morning I was going to find the power out and warm coolers resulting in thousands of lost product. Thankfully, we were one of the few who kept power all night.

Granted, I have insurance for food loss in a situation like that, but I've got huge catering orders starting tomorrow and going through the week. Most of which were already paid for. You know what kind of nightmare that would have been if I couldn't get those filled? I was not looking forward to dealing with that at all...

Two words: Generac Generator. Get one that is powered by natural gas and automatically starts and runs when the power goes out. A whole home generator for your work place can be had for under $5,000. If you're talking thousands of dollars in potential food loss, it pays for itself in one use.

You know your business and what works for you better than I or anyone here does, but I am wondering if that may be a little too small? The original guy selling nachos and hot dogs is a little different than you selling BBQ. I know you mentioned instantly outgrowing our smoker and in hindsight would have gone larger, I am wondering if this trailer ends up being the same situation. Of course if it is THAT good of a deal than maybe it makes up for it. I really don't know, just playing devils advocate here.

You might be surprised. There is a company is western Ohio that has a restaurant and does the rib cook off and festival circuit. (Buckeye BBQ) They have a small red trailer with only the necessary stuff. They set up a grill in front and to the left to give a final heat and basting sauce to the ribs and they have their smoker behind the trailer. Right in front of the trailer they set up a folding table with the gallon jugs of all their sauces to pump out onto your food. (not sure if their smoker gets put in a small box truck or rolled into the trailer) Anyway, the trailer can't be more than 12' long and yet this place seems to have no problem turning out some amazing tasting food.

The only issue I ever have with trailers like this is that the counter height for people tends to be quite high. Though it is like this for any concession trailer you will find at any carnival or event anywhere.

Unfortunately it's ash.

And I'm about 95% certain I'm buying this concession trailer. It is spotless. Could begin using it immediately as is, but I may make a few equipment tweaks to streamline it for BBQ.

jl1irn.jpg

Does it have a current health inspection sticker?

And the best part is it just got it's health department license renewed a few months ago, and by the same health inspector that I had at the restaurant.

Ignore my previous question. I guess that I should finish the thread before posting.

You know your business and what works for you better than I or anyone here does, but I am wondering if that may be a little too small? The original guy selling nachos and hot dogs is a little different than you selling BBQ.

I doubt that he plans on cooking in the trailer. He could have trays of chopped beef in a cooler and just vend sandwiches out of the thing and probably make some good money.

Holy busy day, batman! We weren't sure how the day would go being the day before a holiday, but we learned quickly. We were out of pulled pork and brisket by 4. The rest of the night we just kept loading the smoker with ribs and tips and couldn't keep up. Those were gone by 7.

Just a huge take out day. Everyone was coming in and ordering by the pound. 3 pounds, 5 pounds, even 15 pounds of meat at a time.

Glad I'm closed tomorrow. Need to recharge before the weekend.

Oh, and I did buy that trailer. Looks like I'm picking it up on Sunday. Can't wait to get that up and running.

Since you are running out of meat at the restaurant, are you planning to use the new stick burner that you have coming to cook the meat that you are going to sell out of the trailer?

Since you are running out of meat at the restaurant, are you planning to use the new stick burner that you have coming to cook the meat that you are going to sell out of the trailer?

Yes, that is the plan. With our capacity issues now, there's not much we could do with the trailer unless it was something during the week when we could scrap together a few extra pork butts and briskets if need be. But until the new smoker is here I'll just spend the time getting it prepared and ready for service.

The first event I plan on using it for is the craft brew and wine festival at the end of the month. Smoker might not be ready quite then, but I'll beg, borrow, or steal something to make sure that event happens.

I've been a member of this forum since late 2010 but have not visited the site in over a year or done an overnight cook for ~ a year. My inactivity has nothing to do with the site but is solely related to taking over as Scoutmaster for my sons troop. Being Scoutmaster is a whole lot of fun, and a whole lot of work!

This weekend, I decided to fire up the cooker and do some butts. Thought I'd also check in on the brethren to see what's happening. I saw this thread and started reading last night around 10p. Holy schnikies! What a story! I stayed up reading til around 2a, then re started around 5:30a (after checking the butts). I had to find out how things turned out! Totally cool story, and one that should be written up more formally. Your perserverence in the face of those initial challenges, then the highs of feedback on your food from folks followed by the lows due to equipment failures or employee "challenges"... Just riveting stuff! What an amazing experience. Thank you so much for sharing your journey!!

BTW: I woke my wife with my laughter seeing the image of the little girl's face with a pile of brisket in front of her. I saw that page very early this morning and could not help from busting out laughing! What an awesome (yes, I said "awesome") reaction!

Wishing you nothing but much continued success! I very much look forward to hearing about what happens in the next weeks and months.

Bruce

On our way

The entire family is on there way up to the prized pig from st. Louis. should be there in a few hours. Looking forward to trying it out.

The entire family is on there way up to the prized pig from st. Louis. should be there in a few hours. Looking forward to trying it out.

Hopefully we are still stocked up on everything!

And I've got family coming in from Kansas City tomorrow as well. Lots of travelers in town this week.

Back