salmon recipe

:confused:What is it you are soaking it in? Also, do you cook it over direct heat or indirect? Does the plank essentialy serve as the "smoke flavor", so no wood chunks or chips are necessary? And what are usual cook times?:confused: I LOVE THIS SITE!!!!! :razz: Thanks for the thread!

Add a weight and soak it in water. Some folks use some wine in there, but I've never tried that.

DSC03954a.jpg

Cook direct over a medium hot fire. The plank will smoulder, and this sounds weird, but the smoke whisps around the edges and bathes the food in an envelope of smoke. I cook salmon until 140* and it will continue to cook after coming off the pit. When you see the white protein starting to weep out, keep an eye on the internal temperature.

DSC01533aBb.jpg

Add a weight and soak it in water. Some folks use some wine in there, but I've never tried that.

DSC03954a.jpg

Cook direct over a medium hot fire. The plank will smoulder, and this sounds weird, but the smoke whisps around the edges and bathes the food in an envelope of smoke. I cook salmon until 140* and it will continue to cook after coming off the pit. When you see the white protein starting to weep out, keep an eye on the internal temperature.

DSC01533aBb.jpg

Those scallops look awesome dude!! In addition to the Salmon. MAN!! I am going to have to try this!!!!

I bet those scallops sucked :eek::-D Off to the lumber yard or woodstash for some hickory!

The salmon I got the most raves for was cedar planked with fancy mustard and brown sugar on top. Mmmmm - can almost taste it now!

My Favorite!
:confused:What is it you are soaking it in? Also, do you cook it over direct heat orindirect? Does the plank essentialy serve as the "smoke flavor", so no wood chunks or chips are necessary? And what are usual cook times?:confused: I LOVE THIS SITE!!!!! :razz: Thanks for the thread!

I use 3/4" planks and i think that increases the cooking times. With the thinner planks you probably have more heat transfer through the plank. Cooking times vary and with fish i usually do the flake test.

Paul

thanks guys for all the responses. Here is a the recipe I wound up using and it made a fantastic sweet gingery salmon that didnt taste super fishy. I used fresh ginger and fresh garlic and squeezed oranges for the orange juice. I will be using some of your suggestions in the future!

35 min | 20 min prep | SERVES 4
1 teaspoon ground ginger 1 teaspoon garlic powder 1/3 cup reduced sodium soy sauce 1/3 cup orange juice 1/4 cup honey 1 green onion, chopped 1 1/2 lbs salmon fillets
  1. In a large self-closing plastic bag, combine first six ingredients; mix well.
  2. Place salmon in bag and seal tightly.
  3. Turn bag gently to distribute marinade.
  4. Refrigerate 15 minutes or up to 30 minutes for stronger flavor.
  5. Turn bag occasionally.
  6. Lightly grease grill rack.
  7. Preheat grill to medium heat.
  8. Remove salmon from marinade; reserve the marinade.
  9. Grill 12-15 minutes per inch of thickness or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
  10. Brush with reserved marinade up until the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
  11. Discard leftover marinade.
http://www.recipezaar.com/13982http://www.recipezaar.com/13982

Last edited:
Back