WSM OR Akorn?

Can't use my Weber until the spring comes. I use my Akorn (Vanessa) all winter long. This winter has been brutal in New York this year.

Okay... I own an Akorn, kettle, two UDS' and a mini WSM. Ill try to answer the op question without blathering too much here. Akorn, for the money is an excellent way to get into kamado cooking and imo are very well built units. Mine went together without a hitch and has given many great cooks. One of my favorite things about it- It KILLS on pizza!!! With a heavy stone, you can make wood fired quality pizza with ease. Ok to the kettle since its been mentioned. Super versatile! For grilling, quick smoking then reverse searing you can't beat em. There's a reason they're in so many backyards across America, and most people don't even realize you can smoke on them too. Cost comparatively much cheaper than an Akorn, so that may be a factor in your decision. UDS are simply awesome cookers too, but unless you build it to grill I.e. so you can raise basket under grate, you won't be grilling on one. And you have to build it which turns some folks off the idea.

I don't own a large WSM, but I do have a mini WSM that I built with a smokey joe gold. Excellent cooker for smoking, reverse searing and grilling. Easy to smoke on it then simply remove center "barrel" (which is a tamale pot) then put grate right on kettle bottom for searing meats. That said this is on a much smaller scale than an actual WSM. Not so sure I'd want to mess with an 18" or 22" lid and barrel while hot when trying to setup for grilling after a smoke to finish over coals. And as bbgeekess stated, you'd be bending over to do so. I don't have that issue with little smokey joe gold as its a "tabletop grill", plus its my traveler smoker so I deal with it if no table available.

I don't know, a 22.5" kettle sounds like it might fit your needs well, as does an Akorn but you're gonna shell out some more clams for one of those. Unless you find one on sale like I did:thumb:

thanks for taking the time to explain.. I'm liking them all and still going to decide as I'm not in any kind of hurry... Tough decision???

Can't use my Weber until the spring comes. I use my Akorn (Vanessa) all winter long. This winter has been brutal in New York this year.

Vanessa ...I love the name. I bet it cooks better just having a name like that!

+1 on those who said Akorn for grilling. I had a WSM and a Bubba Keg. There is no grilling comparison, but the WSM was one heck of a little smoker workhorse.

I do all my grilling on my pellet pooper which will get up to 800+ degrees. :-D

AFter looking at the WSM and The Akorn, I want them both LOL

Weber kettle with the addition of a rotisserie. I love the roti attachment.

All of my grills/smokers have names. Doesn't everyone name their toys?:shocked::shocked::shocked: I talk to them too (and yell sometimes when they act up)

All of my grills/smokers have names. Doesn't everyone name their toys?:shocked::shocked::shocked:
My only one that doesn't is my Kettle. :wink: I just haven't found the right name yet and I've owned it the longest.

I have a Yoder YS 640 Pellet grill on the way,that I can't wait to use, but would also like to have one of these that are small and handy, for doing burgers and steaks. And occasional smoking on them also!!!

Thanks

His title says Akorn or WSM and then he goes on and says he'd like small for both grilling and smoking.

I am just wondering if he knows about the Mini WSM.. or if that's too small for him.

For something small, portable and does smoking, barbecue, roasting & grilling: Mini WSM.

Not so good for pizza!

Mini WSM grilling :

Weber-Smokey-Joe-Grills2-300x213.jpeg

Mini WSM Roasting Chicken :

30dgwls.jpg

Mini WSM can warm smoke at 200F for bacon:

2a77qe9.jpg

Some ribs on a Mini WSM :

IMAG0502_web.jpg

I cooked this pork butt in my Mini WSM -- it was my first:

9258566607_44993e2b52_c.jpg

9262122902_240fcf3c64_c.jpg

Here she the day after I built her :

2vshzfa.jpg

This might be all you need to complement your Yoder, unless you need to grill for more than 2-4 people. It's small, portable, fuel saving & does your smoking and grilling.

It costs under $100 to make it.. just an idea.

His title says Akorn or WSM and then he goes on and says he'd like small for both grilling and smoking.

I am just wondering if he knows about the Mini WSM.. or if that's too small for him.
I'd say you covered it for him pretty well already :thumb:

I have a 22" Weber grill and the Acorn. I use the Acorn all the time and can't remember the last time firing up the Weber. Very versatile grill and you can sear steaks at 700F+ if you want.

I'd say you covered it for him pretty well already :thumb:

I think I want a little bigger, all these post has me loving both!! Thanks for all that posted this.. It really was a big help!!

I have a 22" Weber grill and the Acorn. I use the Acorn all the time and can't remember the last time firing up the Weber. Very versatile grill and you can sear steaks at 700F+ if you want.

Thanks The Weber sure looks sweet also!! The Akorn looks like the champ for high direct heat.

Thanks The Weber sure looks sweet also!! The Akorn looks like the champ for high direct heat.
Uh not so fast! lol

On my Big Poppa i can sear at 1100-1200 degrees or put a diffuser over the charcoal basket in the raised position and get pretty good direct heat in the 700-900 degree range no problem

Uh not so fast! lol

On my Big Poppa i can sear at 1100-1200 degrees or put a diffuser over the charcoal basket in the raised position and get pretty good direct heat in the 700-900 degree range no problem

I do like that it is a beast, Just not sure about knowing what all parts to order, I'm somewhat handy, Just not sure If I have what's needed to build one?

1200*! any hotter and you could make metal alloys in your drum. I want to forge a sword now.

Not sure but I think you just need a drum, drill and maybe a wrench to build the big poppa, it is a kit with everything you need (except the drum).

I do like that it is a beast, Just not sure about knowing what all parts to order, I'm somewhat handy, Just not sure If I have what's needed to build one?

I have nooo welding skills at all LOL, What tools are needed to do this project? You really have me thinking, Especially I can tell everyone one I made my own smoker!!

I have nooo welding skills at all LOL, What tools are needed to do this project? You really have me thinking, Especially I can tell everyone one I made my own smoker!!
2 wrenches and drill. They supply the step drill bit to drill the holes.

2 wrenches and drill. They supply the step drill bit to drill the holes.

I will check it out, What is the best website to go to?? I'm sure it may have been posted earlier in this thread, but too much to go back through.. I will def check it out!!! Ok I checked out the site, All kind of grilling options are availble, the Drum is sold seperately and they start @ $299??

Last edited:
I own a 22" WSM and an 18" Weber kettle. They have served me well for years for anything I have ever needed. My next purchase will be an Acorn for during colder and windy times. And after that, possibly a stick burner. You can NEVER have too many outdoor cooking devices. Just my $0.02! I've had a bit to drink, party on! Later friends! :wacko:

I own a 22" WSM and an 18" Weber kettle. They have served me well for years for anything I have ever needed. My next purchase will be an Acorn for during colder and windy times. And after that, possibly a stick burner. You can NEVER have too many outdoor cooking devices. Just my $0.02! I've had a bit to drink, party on! Later friends! :wacko:

Agreed: Never too many Smoker Toys LOL ENjoy that cold one as I'm doing the same thing.. Happy Smoking!!

Back