Anything butt?!

porkingINpublic

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
What is everyone cooking for anything butt category?

I have been doing new York strip steaks marinated, seasoned, & reverse seared. Got 2nd in first comp & then like 8th! I got beat by a stuffed tomatoe! I guess I need to change things up.... Any ideas? Thanks

Why change things up? Maybe you just need to tweak your dish a little. I know some people that have worked on their "anything butt" recipes for years. Here a tweak...there a tweak...

And I've had some pretty darn tasty stuffed tomatoes over the years.

We've yet to win an anything butt, so you probably shouldn't follow my lead, but: we've gone toward the sweet rather than savory thinking that after four rounds of meat, a change might do well. Best finish 3rd, worst 15th. Lava cakes, cinnamon rolls, peach cobbler, praline cream tarts. Maybe we should try meats!

I dont know what they are looking for really... We were next to a guy that did deer sliders at our past 2 comps... He got 1st & 2nd in the past two comps...they were good.

I'm debating doing like a pecan pie or something.... We have a traeger smoker on staff so it's basically a glorified oven.... It's tempting

that is definately a luck catagory. I got a 1st in 1 comp(19 teams only) because it was rainy and cold and we made a southwest chili. 3 other times middle of the pack with similar chili.
The judges may never be more fickle IMO as in chefs choice/anything butt.

Madison IN is the only comp we do the anything butt. Joey (team mate) has won the last 2 years. 1st win was scallops oscar. 2nd win was fillet oscar. He is an exceptional good self taught cook.

We've yet to win an anything butt, so you probably shouldn't follow my lead, but: we've gone toward the sweet rather than savory thinking that after four rounds of meat, a change might do well. Best finish 3rd, worst 15th. Lava cakes, cinnamon rolls, peach cobbler, praline cream tarts. Maybe we should try meats!

I agree with your thinking on being sweet after all of the meat a judge eats while judging the 4 main catergories. My team took the same line of thinking earlier this month and did a peach dessert with ice cream. It ended up winning, the 2nd place finisher also had a very good score and made a dessert too.

What the hell was in that stuffed tomato???

We've won 4 or 5 atb contests with shrimp and grits. I don't think you would win with that dish outside of the south though. A winner at one contest was brocoli salad (can't spell).

I quit doing anything but after our scallops over grits with a tomato water foam were beat by vanilla ice cream with Hershey's syrup on top.

What the hell was in that stuffed tomato???

That's what I said?!

I can't picture it being better than steak!

I thought about doing something with smoked maple bacon... Maybe wrapped over meat balls...

How do you keep ice cream from melting before the judges get to it?

Back