injected butts

ironmanerik

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Haven't been happy with my butts love the bark, just not enough flavor in the majority of the meat. Had some oven butt recently that was marinated and injected with mojo so giving it a shot

P8060845.jpg

Cooking tomorrow injected last night, and again this morning. Going with a s,p,gp,cayenne rub.
-anybody ever inject with mojo
-if so did you rub
-how was it

I did an experiment with mojo, and I rubbed with a light dusting of Goya Adobo w/pepper (that stuff is salty, tread lightly) for a cuban type pulled pork... The bark is not as thick as what it would be if you really hit it with a traditional rub, but it turned out alright... Tasted like cuban roast pork with smoky light bark. I would do it again if I wanted over the top cuban sammies.

---EDIT--- forgot to add, because I was using it for cuban sammies, I foiled it early so the bark wouldnt get too dark

I inject and let sit in the fridge overnight.

The next day I let stand uncovered for 15 minutes before applying the rub and let the rub stand for another hour before going to the cooker.

The bark is thick and crusty, but the meat is very juicy...

I've never tested the hypothesis... But for butts that never get foiled during the cook, does an injection increase the length of the stall? If it's down to evaporative cooling and you're introducing that much more liquid to evaporate, I imagine it would

I've never tested the hypothesis... But for butts that never get foiled during the cook, does an injection increase the length of the stall? If it's down to evaporative cooling and you're introducing that much more liquid to evaporate, I imagine it would

Cooking @ 275*, Wrapping @ 160
In past cooks with higher temps and wrapping I haven't experienced a stall yet. From what I've read here you would think more moisture=increased stall

Got a Buddy that will only buy untreated BB's and makes his own injection. Going to send him this thread. I want to try it too.

Looks Great!

Back