Epic Summer Vacation - Florida to Montana!

At milemarker 1 on IS 90 on ID/MT border you ought to stop and do the bike ride down the Hiawatha Trail, all downhill on old Milwaukee RR grade, lots of trestles and tunnels, amazing scenery, bike rentals available, about 3 hours.

Also, if your're getting off IS 90 on MT 93 to go from Missoula to Kalispell to get to Glacier, worth stopping at National Bison Range, lots of wildlife and about a three hour drive through. (on way to Kalispell just off 93 near Ravalli)

Sounds like part of your trip may be driving I-80? If you happen through DesMoines, do yourself a favor and stop at Smoky D's BBQ. Best restaurant BBQ I've ever had.

Ed

The route from Mt Rushmore to Green Bay looks to go north of Des Moines.

At milemarker 1 on IS 90 on ID/MT border you ought to stop and do the bike ride down the Hiawatha Trail, all downhill on old Milwaukee RR grade, lots of trestles and tunnels, amazing scenery, bike rentals available, about 3 hours.

Also, if your're getting off IS 90 on MT 93 to go from Missoula to Kalispell to get to Glacier, worth stopping at National Bison Range, lots of wildlife and about a three hour drive through. (on way to Kalispell just off 93 near Ravalli)

We're not sure whether we'll go I-90 or Highway 12 from ID to MT. IF we go from Yellowstone straight to my folks house we'll have to take a trip from MT over to ID so maybe we could do both. I really want the kids to see Highway 12. That's a beautiful drive.

We took a cross-country trip a year and a half ago to Wyoming. Some of the highlights:
Loved South Dakota. Wall Drug is a definite must! We stayed at Frontier Cabins that were lovely. Wall is just north of the Badlands. Loved seeing the buffalo there.
At Mt. Rushmore, we took a helicopter ride. I think for the three of us it was something like $90. The ride was short, but unforgettable.
At Devil's Tower, we stayed in a tipi. Again, this was very memorable. There was a great night-time talk by Teddy Roosevelt (or at least someone who looked like him) that was very good and insightful. The stars at night were amazing:
http://www.devilstowertipicamping.com/
Douglas, Wyoming, not a whole lot to see, but this is the home of the jackalope and I have one hanging on my wall from there. :becky:

I would suggest that rather than seeking additional sights, you eliminate one or two. Give yourselves a little time to stay and enjoy a couple of the spots you are travelling through. Stop and smell the roses.

I would suggest that rather than seeking additional sights, you eliminate one or two. Give yourselves a little time to stay and enjoy a couple of the spots you are travelling through. Stop and smell the roses.

I'm not really looking for additional sights. And some of these spots will just be to see friends or family for a few hours. There is additional time built in to the trip, so I think we'll be ok. If we find that we're overwhelmed or moving too fast we'll readjust and eliminate some stops.

This might very well be the last opportunity for us to take a road trip with my on. He will be in college in 2 years, so we'd like to maximize what we see. Then in the future we can take a deeper dive on a more focused shorter trip.

That said, we still want to take some time to "smell the roses!" But we want to be sure to see quite a lot of roses. :becky:

We'll be taking lots of pics and videos. My son loves to cut together different video clips and maybe I'll upload some of that.

Man, I really dropped the ball on this one. We did take the trip and hit most of the stops we planned on, but I was too busy to upload any pics. Seems we were always running a tad behind schedule.

Here’s an imgur post with some pics

https://imgur.com/a/SHM1YJK

Last edited:
I don’t recall us hitting any bbq joints. I will give a glowing review on the following though.

Drury Inn & Suites Riverwalk in San Antonio
Bryce Canyon Pines restaurant in Utah
The Butchers Nook restaurant in Plains Mt
Bucks T4 Lodge in Big Sky Mt
Tundra Lodge Resort in Green Bay Wi

Back