Mounting Spicewine in Horse Trailer

JiveTurkey

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Loading and unloading my medium Spicewine in and out of my 5x10 enclosed for comps is proving to be a pain in the rear. It's usually just me loading so I've been looking at getting a small horse trailer to permanently mount the spice. I came across this on CL for $1500 and thought it might work. I like how the wheels are far back since the spice will be mounted at the rear. Is there anything I should look for/keep in mind while looking? I know nothing about trailers and even less about horse trailers.

trailer.jpg

trailer2.jpg

I picked up a small electric winch that I can use to assist loading and unloading my medium SW. For the most part, people usually help load it at the end of a comp. Last month we actually had a couple of 20something guys that were spectators just walk ofer and help us load it in the trailer.

And my 6x10 enclosed trailer is waterproof and has a/c!

We have a 120v winch (= no battery) that we load my stump clone with. We usually have power somewhere but I also pack my Honda generator. That smoker has to weigh over 1000#. Could you ever get a horse trailer clean?

Mounting a charcoal cooker inside of anything is very dangerous for many reasons. Fire, carbon monoxide, etc. Do not cook indoors with that cooker without the right safety equipment.

A winch is a pretty good idea. Any recomendations?

And no I'm not giving pony rides.

I picked up mine from Harbor Freight for about $60.

Are you always going to have access to an electric plug in?

This is the one I went with.
http://www.harborfreight.com/camouf...ortable-winch-with-roller-fairlead-95912.html

They have others. I've used it twice to load my med SW. I can unload solo with no prob, and I have a herniated disc and a bad knee right now.:crazy:

I used my battery from my boat when I need it. But I havn't touched it the past 2 comps due to those willing to help at load up time.

Mounting a charcoal cooker inside of anything is very dangerous for many reasons. Fire, carbon monoxide, etc. Do not cook indoors with that cooker without the right safety equipment.

Safety first for sure, but an exhaust fan and chimney ought to keep things safe and shouldn't be too difficult to install.

If the electric wench isn't in the cards, I'd say a manual wench could come in handly.

When looking at buying a horse trailer, I found the following:

1. check the wheel bearings, many horse owners ignore them.
2. check that axles and trailer tongue are square.
3. check that floor is sound, urine and manure can do a job on floor and sub-floor.
4. rust forms in two location other than floor, check base of walls and where roof meets walls.

I think I'm going to stick with my current set up, a 5x10 enclosed trailer that I will winch the spice in (once I get a winch). I've never had a problem loading/unloading at comps, it's at home where it's just me and loading solo is a pain. With a winch I can load/unload and still use the trailer to sleep in. Thanks for the help gents, I appreciate it.

The best thing to do is to call Josh from Good Smoke BBQ to help you load and unload it...That's what we do.

I think I'm going to stick with my current set up, a 5x10 enclosed trailer that I will winch the spice in (once I get a winch). I've never had a problem loading/unloading at comps, it's at home where it's just me and loading solo is a pain. With a winch I can load/unload and still use the trailer to sleep in. Thanks for the help gents, I appreciate it.

Spend the extra money on a rooftop a/c:becky:

Back