• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Any good ideas for having a bbq for vegitarians?

Shadowdog500

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
We are planning a bbq in honor of a vegitarian.

On regular bbqs we just throw some veggie burgers on the grill and have sides that the few vegitarians that show up can eat.

Since this bbq is for a vegitarian, I'm looking for some good main dish that everyone would like. I think seafood is out as well, but I'll check tomorrow.

Thanks,

Chris

You can do all kinds of stuff on the grill. We've done zuchini and squash on the grill with just some olive oil on them for flavor and to help them from sticking. You can also do eggplant and tomatoes, and pineapple on the grill is great. Oh yeah, also do veggie kabobs with mushrooms, tomoatoe, squash, onion, etc. I am sure there is lots of other stuff you can do, do a web search.
PS - some true vegitarians are pretty finicky about the grill or pans etc having been used previously for cooking meats, so you may want to wire brush or steel wool your grill in soapy water before doing the veggie grilling.
Best of luck!

whole Portabella burgers are awesome, grilled eggplant and tomatoes are also very good.

Don't forget the grilled fruit, pineapple, peaches, ect...

Vegetarian chili, with smoked veggies.

Carnivores for the most part make crappy Q... I like to take my vegitarians and marinate for at least 12 hours in an Italian dressing based marinade, dab dry and coat evenly in rub, and put on the smoker at about 225* until the internal temp is around 160*. At this point you can continue or spray down with a bourbon and apple juice mixture and wrap tightly in foil until you reach an internal temp of 195*. Pull from smoker and let rest for at least an hour and you will have a wonderful meal! Good luck!

No ideas whatsoever. BBQ is a celebration of carnivorous pyrotechnic maniacs. Vegetables are not food to carnivorous pyrotechnic maniacs. Vegetables are what carnivorous pyrotechnic maniacs' food eats.

Last edited:
If I'm already using the keg to smoke some meat, I'll cook this recipe with it for Harvard. If not, I'll grill it on the gasser. It's really delicious, and something that both of us actually like. :smile:

Grilled Eggplant Parmesan Sandwich
From EatingWell.com

This grilled version of eggplant Parmesan uses tender, smoky grilled eggplant instead of fried, so it has a fraction of the fat and calories. To make these sandwiches a cinch to prepare, have all your ingredients ready before you head out to the grill.

Ingredients

1 large eggplant, (1 1/4-1 1/2 pounds), cut into 12 1/4-inch-thick rounds
Canola or olive oil cooking spray
1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
3 tablespoon(s) finely shredded Parmesan, or Asiago cheese
1/2 cup(s) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
4 focaccia, or rustic Italian bread
2 teaspoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
5 ounce(s) baby spinach
1 cup(s) canned crushed tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
3 tablespoon(s) chopped fresh basil, divided

Directions

Preheat grill to medium-high.

Place eggplant rounds on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. Coat both sides lightly with cooking spray. Combine Parmesan (or Asiago) and mozzarella in a small bowl. Brush both sides of focaccia (or bread) with oil.

Place spinach in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and punch several holes in the wrap. Microwave on High until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Combine tomatoes and 2 tablespoons basil in a small microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave until bubbling, about 2 minutes.

Place all your ingredients on the baking sheet with the eggplant and take it to the grill. Grill the eggplant slices until brown and soft on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Grill the bread until toasted, about 1 minute per side. Return the eggplant and bread to the baking sheet. Reduce grill heat to medium.

Place 1 eggplant round on top of each slice of bread. Layer 1 tablespoon tomatoes, 1 tablespoon wilted spinach and 1 tablespoon cheese on each slice of eggplant. Repeat with the remaining eggplant, sauce, spinach and cheese. Sprinkle each stack with some of the remaining basil. Place the baking sheet on the grill, close the lid and grill until the sandwiches are hot and the cheese is melted, 5 to 7 minutes.

whole Portabella burgers are awesome, grilled eggplant and tomatoes are also very good.

Don't forget the grilled fruit, pineapple, peaches, ect...

Vegetarian chili, with smoked veggies.

+1 on the portabellas. I did some for a work BBQ with an asian flair: soy sauce + sesame oil. Beware of Worcestershire sauce, it's made from fish oil which some vegitarians will want to avoid.

Last edited:
Carnivores for the most part make crappy Q... I like to take my vegitarians and marinate for at least 12 hours in an Italian dressing based marinade, dab dry and coat evenly in rub, and put on the smoker at about 225* until the internal temp is around 160*. At this point you can continue or spray down with a bourbon and apple juice mixture and wrap tightly in foil until you reach an internal temp of 195*. Pull from smoker and let rest for at least an hour and you will have a wonderful meal! Good luck!

EXACTLY! Plus, you'll find that most vegearians will fit on a rotisserie quite nicely!

I've grilled portobello mushrooms. Olive oil, garlic and parsley. Put sauteed onions and/or sliced grilled peppers on them. Portobello burgers are really good, even for a carnivore like myself.

Grilled zucchini slices are a great side. Brush them with olive oil and garlic.

Bob

Oh, so you'r a humanitarian.
I always wondered what you guys ate!

Chris

My wife likes to dabble in vegetarianism.

The other day I made her a veggie burger along with my proper burger.

I fixed it for her:

417673_497227163624514_2055303329_n.jpg

Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt or fish

Since even idiots got to eat, take an eggplant, cut in half length wise. Then scoop out the insides and dice. Mix with olive oil, diced tomatoes, your choice of grated cheese, flat leaf parsley, and other goodies that strike your fancy like diced bell pepper, baby spinach, rice, etc. plus S&P. Fill shells, top with a drizzle of garlis olive oil and more cheese and then smoke for an hour and grill till tender.

You can add ground beef or lamb for those who know how to hunt and fish, even if it's at the meat counter.

Stuffed bell peppers with rice as a base stuffing.

Or you could just give 'em a gift certificate for the local vegan sprout joint.

Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt or fish

Since even idiots got to eat, take an eggplant, cut in half length wise. Then scoop out the insides and dice. Mix with olive oil, diced tomatoes, your choice of grated cheese, flat leaf parsley, and other goodies that strike your fancy like diced bell pepper, baby spinach, rice, etc. plus S&P. Fill shells, top with a drizzle of garlis olive oil and more cheese and then smoke for an hour and grill till tender.

You can add ground beef or lamb for those who know how to hunt and fish, even if it's at the meat counter.
A Turkish classic and awesome if done right.
You could make a Med. grilled salad, ratatouille, with tofu steaks and rub, and a good pot of bean chili + quesadillas never goes astray.
Personally I would not choose BBQ for vegetarians, it is hard enough to make great food for them with all the kitchen appliances!

Portobella pizzas. Clean the gills out of portobella caps and brush with olive oil and season with a little salt and pepper. Grill gill side down for a few minutes then flip and add sauce, cheese and whatever else you feel like (Par cook whatever you add so it cooks faster) and grill until done.

Back