Decent deal on a Performer?

NorcalBBQer

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey friends,
Haven't posted in a while. My neighbor is looking for a grill "like mine". Found this on CL. It's a SS Performer for $250.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/fod/3656055902.html

Seems to be a pretty decent price, especially since he's throwing in all the coal. I offered him $200 but he's not budging. Ignitor works, charcoal bin holds charcoal. Hopefully my fellow NorCal Brethen don't steal this from underneath me, before my neighbor and I have a chance to pick it up.

What are your thoughts, decent grill?

Amazing grill, deplorable price.

Half of that might still be slightly expensive compared to what most of the old stainless ones go for. The 20lb bags can be had for 5$ or less when Memorial/Labor/Independence day rolls around, and I'd imagine thats when he got them. Just wait, they pop up ever few weeks, especially once it gets hot out.

Last edited:
It looks like it is in good shape. Not sure why year that model was made. My Performer is about three years old and it doesn't have the popup counter. I can see that is where the bin is to keep the charcoal. Given the presence of the propane tank I am wondering if there is a burner there as well. If there is a burner, and it works, I would scoop it up.

Not to make you feel bad but I picked up a SS performer for $40. Tank was even full. I did need to replace the two grates though, totally burned through. it is a great grill but $250 is WAY too much for a grill of that vintage. You are in California though...........

In my part of the country, that grill in its current condition with all the extras would sell on CL $150-200, closer to $200. I think the $200 offer was very fair. Time to walk away if he doesn't budge.

pass on this one, you will find yours when its time

Kingsford $10 per bag ($60) cheaper if purchased during Labor Day/Memorial Day
Royal Oak - $8 at walmart

So you are looking at about $70-$75 worth of charcoal after taxes. That is about $175-$180 for the stainless steal performer. It isnt a super great price, but it isn't a bad price. I think it is a fair price to pay for a SS performer w/ cover that was taken good care of.

You have have the means to pay for the grill, I would go for it as it is about $175ish for a SS grill w/ cover that appears to be taken care of. Yes you are forced by buying the charcoal, but you are going to have to buy it anyways and might as well not pay tax on it.

I dont think it is an amazing buy by any means because you are being forced to purchase the charcoal with it, but it is a fair price. If you can get him to not include the charcoal and lower the price to $200 you would be getting less bang for your buck. But that is how I break down the pricing for it.

I see them in GA all the time in the $50-$100 range (got mine for $50). That's $30-$35 worth of charcoal (3 x $8 Memorial Day price for the K, $7-$8 regular price for the RO).

One thing to check on these older units is the age of the tank and whether it has the quick disconnect or not. Talk to your propane dealer and ask them how to tell if the tank can be reused or if it will have to be replaced. I had to get mine recertified and a new valve installed so the first fill cost almost $40. A replacement tank goes for over $50 on Amazon. One benefit of the newer (plastic table) Performers is that they use a disposable propane canister. You could use a lot of those before you covered the cost of a 5 pound tank (and perhaps a new regulator to replace the quick disconnect.) Regulations probably vary by state.

BTW, I paid $50 for my S/S Performer which did not include a cover or the charcoal baskets.

It's way over priced. I paid $100 for mine three years ago. Maybe the market is different there, but I wouldn't pay more than $100 for one in pristine condition.

Back