Smokey Joe 16 first cook!

Bob13.....thanks, I'm not using a basket at the moment. I see that many with mini-WSM's don't either. I am getting a nice burn pattern using briquettes but also feel that the ash build up is quite excessive. I shield the intake vents from ash with a can and it's effective.

I fabricated the legs out of 1" x 1/8" thick aluminum bar.
Here's a close up pic:

P1060988_zps889ca731.jpg

I got it locally at a place called Ditty Containers. They sell brand new unlined drums in 16 and 30 gallon sizes, choice of open or closed top. I paid $43 for my 16 gallon open top drum.

Here's a pic of the new, open top drum I got:

P1060970_zps13820e63.jpg

Damn I wish I had a local place to get one that cheap. I've been wanting to build a mini UDS for a while now but all the drums places I've found online want a fortune for a 16. Gonna wait till one comes my way cheap.

Nice looking setup you got there!

I've got a 15 (or 16) gallon drum, also. I had been planning on turning it into a mini UDS. Carbon, you might just have me convinced to go the same route as yourself, and either take the bottom off of the drum, or fill it w/ holes.

I drilled out the bottom for now and that seem to work well with the hanging ribs. It also doubles as a safety catch in case I drop the meat, which I've done in my UDS...lol...
But I can, of course, cut the bottom out completely at any time should I decide to go that route and run it with no diffuser.

P1060977_zps6fb7a2a5.jpg

Man, I used to be happy with tamale pot modded smokey joe. How will I explain the need to find a 16 gallon drum?!

Nice, simple build. I think I see some pretty good Q coming you way. Please remember to share some pics!

Nice build. I am in the process of building a mini UDS out of one for a friend.

If anyone is interested I got my drum for free from 5 Minute Oil Change.

yea, you could find them at shops or lube places. common for axle/diff oil.

Update on my Smokey Joe UDS.

For better ash management I got a new Smokey Joe Gold which comes with side vents.

P1070011_zps69a80feb.jpg

P1070013_zpsc25e2d54.jpg

A little update:

I decided to cut the bottom of the drum out as the original drilled out diffuser/bottom was too close to the coals and restricted heat flow as I was not able to reach temps above 300F, with the vents fully open. Coals were also not burning efficiently. I tried both, using the Smokey Joe Silver and the Gold....didn't matter.
I will run this meat hanger smoker body with no diffuser.

Here's a shot of the 16 gallon drum with a single meat hanger rod and a cut out drum bottom and Smokey Joe bottom:

P1070021_zps068bdd08.jpg

A little update:

I decided to cut the bottom of the drum out as the original drilled out diffuser/bottom was too close to the coals and restricted heat flow as I was not able to reach temps above 300F, with the vents fully open. Coals were also not burning efficiently. I tried both, using the Smokey Joe Silver and the Gold....didn't matter.
I will run this meat hanger smoker body with no diffuser.

Let us know how the food turns out sans diffuser...

Let us know how the food turns out sans diffuser...

Hi, I'm pretty sure they'll turn out fine as I have hung meat in the UDS sans diffuser before. In fact, with the 55 gal UDS the meat hangs closer to the coals due to the height of my coal basket. The Smokey Joe set up gives me slightly more distance between the meat and the live coals.

Back