Low Sodium rub

P

putterspitt

Dont post alot here but I do read alot..
In the last month I have had a shocking health awakening. I am in now need of a no salt rub. Anybody out there have one? tks

putterspitt said:
In the last month I have had a shocking health awakening. I am in now need of a no salt rub. Anybody out there have one? tks

I've got some no/low sodium recipes for a sauce and some marinades. They are at my Mom's house. I'll get them to you if you like.

Here are two for you to check out.

This is one I use for Honey Ribs. I will look through my list of rubs, I may have another. If you want to use this as an all purpose rub add 1 tablespoon of sugar and adjust the flavor from there.

No Salt Rib Rub for Honey Coated Ribs - There is no salt in this rub, no sugar either. All the sweet comes at the end.
Ingredients:

3 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon ground basil
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon red pepper
1 tablespoon mustard powder

Warmed honey

Combine all the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Brush ribs with warm honey about 10 minutes before ribs come off the pit.

I don't know why you could not leave out the salt from this Canadian-style rub. I think it would still have plenty of flavor. An increase in the lemon peel may also be an option to make up for the missing salt.

Montreal Steak Rub – A coarse rub suited for beef, but also good on pork, chicken and potatoes.

Ingredients:
3T coriander seeds
3T black peppercorns
4T dried bell pepper (mix green & red bell pepper)
2T onion flakes
2T garlic flakes
2T sea salt
1T caraway seeds
2T dill seeds
1T dried thyme
1t dried lemon peel

Combine all ingredients and grind in a coffee grinder.

.... if memory serves, (Jay's) Spicewine rubs (Hen & Hog and Heifer Dust) are great sugar-based rubs that require you to salt and pepper prior to applying the rub. The two really cover the bases.

Tks for the quick replys, appreciate them. I usually use a commercial rub from a coffee company in my catering biz. I love it but it has alot of sodium.
Jorge, used to live in Bastrop Tx. Loved going to all the Q places back then. All around Austin and surrounding area. Appreciate all the rubs and marinades guys......

Jorge's stuff is good- he shared it with me a while back, and I was mighty impressed.

putterspitt said:

PS, make sure the spices you start with are sodium free.

Welcome to the low/no salt world.

Its easier to live in than just 5 years ago, but you can cut out tons by switching your buying habits.

Look through this site, get the nutritional facts, then shop local. I buy a ton from this place, and don't miss the salt one bit. One thing I didnt give up with salt was flavor:

http://www.healthyheartmarket.com/

Good luck

1---- tks for the rub, it worked great on some beef short ribs

2----tks for the website for low sodium, his story is close to mine as I have just started though...it brightened up my day as it did for the wife and son also.........tks again....

You should also avoid using rubs that contain MSG. Also, did your doctor tell you that you have a sodium problem or are you restricting sodium on your own. If your doctor did not tell you to restrict sodium then you might really goof up your electrolytes (not good). As for me I rarely use salt from a shaker but do use it in the cooking process. For me the only shaker necessary at the table is pepper, unless I am eating my wifes mashed taters. She does not make them with salt so that people can salt them to taste at the table.

.... drifting a bit OT ... but we started using gray salt (Brittany) for most table and 'lower volume' seasoning. Some sources tout the micro-mineral content and emphasize need to maintain salt levels especially with heavy water intake. Is there some Brethren info out there to support or dispute the 'gray salt' claims?

Low sodium diet. 420 mg of sodium a day. the nutritionist said that is man made sodium. Total of about 2000 mg. Sleep apnea has weakened my heart. I know about sodium and also MSG. Lost 25 lbs in about a month so far. Have found a no sodium salt sub thou.. Wife just made a slaw dressing that is actually good. But the salad dressing she just made is nasty. We are trying.
If you are in this shape, try dry roasted unsalted peanuts, they are great for a snack....tks agin guys

Putter, please be careful on the salt substitutes. I also cannot have them because of the high potassium (thats what gives it tongue tang)

2 cookbooks are essential. the AHA Low Salt cookbook, and the Low Salt No Salt cook book. You can find them on Pete's site, but find out what they look like and go to Borders or something.

Good luck, and PM me if you need additional info on anything (no salt added Heinz ketchup will take time to get use to, but it can be done :) )

On the subject of salt, At the Lynch Stampede this yesterday no fewer than 8 times did I hear from the other judges that they scored down an entry because it was too salty!! I agreed on most of them.
Watch the salt, it's being noticed.
ModelMaker

As I find most rubs 'over salty' esp when you've got a combination of Salt & Celery Salt.

I tend to cut all salt quantities by half (or more) and it hasn't made any difference to the moistness, flavour (apart from less salt!) and texture of the meat or bark.

Also pick a good quality sea (Malvern if you can get it in the States) or rock salt, you'll get more flavour using less of the product.

(I also try to cut down the sugar when possible.)

...and I wouldnt touch MSG with yours!!!! :twisted:

Back