WSM-add more wood?

Hozman

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Before my WSM I had a big stick burner and the meat got constant hickory smoke throughout the who cook. Now with my WSM I was wondering, they say meat takes in smoke up to 140*. I always start my cook with 3 or 4 chunks then once they are done just just let the WSM do its thing.

Was wondering if my meat temp is still under 140* would it hurt to add more chunks? Thought just give meat some extra smoke.

I do it all the time. I put chunks in my Minion method setup, but they often burn up earlier than I'd like.

Just add smallish chunks, so they get to a thin smoke quickly. It's like adding sticks to a stick burner. You want to add small amounts of wood at a time.

CD

I distribute wood chunks throughout the lump. I try to arrange them in a way that one chunk will always be engaged.

I think the smoke ring stops developing at or around that temp.

I put about 4 fist/baseball size chunks throughout my charcoal on any given cook so there should always be a burning chunk.

As far as adding wood, go ahead, but you risk too much smoke.

Before my WSM I had a big stick burner and the meat got constant hickory smoke throughout the who cook. Now with my WSM I was wondering, they say meat takes in smoke up to 140*. I always start my cook with 3 or 4 chunks then once they are done just just let the WSM do its thing.

Was wondering if my meat temp is still under 140* would it hurt to add more chunks? Thought just give meat some extra smoke.

To be honest, I never worry about it if I'm using a milder wood like apple to smoke. I just keep tossing chunks on the fire. Mesquite is a different story. I never quite understood the term over smoking.

Back