Secrets of Great Salsa

jeffreywp1

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I love spicy food and I love spicy salsa. When I go to Mexican restaurants I always ask for what ever spicy salsa they have. Not all are spicy and not all are good, but there is a flavor that some of them have that I can't seem to duplicate. Its kind of a bacon flavor, that I assume comes from a toasted dried chile. Does anyone know what chile gives this flavor? It isn't chile de arbol because I have toasted that chlie in every way possible and have rarely achieved that flavor.

Sure it isn't chipotle? I find that fresh salsa, Pico de Gallo, is best when made with fresh chiles. Serranos are my usual choice, but if I make xnipec salsa (dogs nose), habaneros are used.

Two things are important to me with salsa:

Texture -- the tomatoes and onions should be minced into small chunks, but not pureed. Also, some liquid is desireable.

Balance -- I like hot, but the peppers should not overpower the garlic or cilantro.

Sure it isn't chipotle? I find that fresh salsa, Pico de Gallo, is best when made with fresh chiles. Serranos are my usual choice, but if I make xnipec salsa (dogs nose), habaneros are used.

I do not think it is chipotles in adobo sauce because I use them regularly. But I have not tried dried chipotle's.

Is it cumin? I don't know if people put that in salsa or not, but we put it in about everything.

if it's bacon flavor you get, the chile's probably have been smoked or wood fire roasted. why not try experimenting with some yourself. take all your ingredients smoke or roast over hickory as it is hickory that gives the bacon flavor.

I've used smoked poblano and jalapenos (chipotles) in my salsas and either will give it the smoky flavor you're describing.:-D

To "Round Out" the salsa flavor, or make it more robust, try using chicken bouillon powder or chicken base as your salt component.

For years I tried to recreate the restaurant salsa. Then someone told me the secret! Mexican restraunts give that stuff out for free so you know it is inexpensive. The main ingrediant is almost always canned tomatoes. Fresh tomatoes lack the color and the taste. I agree that some chopotles would also give it that smokey bacon flovor youre looking for.

Are you talking green or red sauces? I am a big fan on toasting dried chiles (passila, guajillo, arbol, etc) on a hot comal until they blister then throwing them in boiling water before putting them in a blender. It all depends how you want the sauce to taste. For example in a tomatillo salsa blackening the skin on the tomatillos will mellow the acidity of the sauce.

I have never tasted a bacony flavor in salsa. Maybe they pan fry chiles in lard?:confused:

Canned tomatoes are a must, you can try the following recipe with fresh and canned and they are two different flavors altogether. I probably should not be sharing this as it is a family secret and the ingredients are added based on how hot the jalepenos are and what not. We get requests for this recipe all of the time. If you want more heat add your favorite serrano/habanero/ghost/Trinidad scorpion. FYI, this is my Mom's recipe that my wife has down pat, believe me, my mom knows Tex-Mex food.

1 Can Diced Tomatoes (14-15oz)
¼ of medium white onion
1-2 jalapenos (depending on heat level)
½ C Fresh Cilantro (more to taste)
1 TBSP garlic
1 tsp salt
½ TBSP cumin (start with less as it can get bitter)
½ lime squeezed

Quickly blend, but not puree, to your liking.

Not sure about the "bacon" flavor, except to say that where I grew up, bacon grease was what was used to fry anything. So, if they are sauteeing onions and garlic, it might be done with a little bacon grease. The others may be onto something with the chipotle for the smokey flavor.

I use the following (I make my red enchilada sauce with it) for that flavor. I also use it in my BBQ sauce and rubs. It was my "secret" ingredient until now. I like BBQ sweet and spicy - this will bring the heat while adding a great red chile flavor.

http://www.chimayotogo.com/pc-67-7-rancho-de-chimayo-red-chile-powder-579.aspx

Canned tomatoes are a must, you can try the following recipe with fresh and canned and they are two different flavors altogether. I probably should not be sharing this as it is a family secret and the ingredients are added based on how hot the jalepenos are and what not. We get requests for this recipe all of the time. If you want more heat add your favorite serrano/habanero/ghost/Trinidad scorpion. FYI, this is my Mom's recipe that my wife has down pat, believe me, my mom knows Tex-Mex food.

1 Can Diced Tomatoes (14-15oz)
¼ of medium white onion
1-2 jalapenos (depending on heat level)
½ C Fresh Cilantro (more to taste)
1 TBSP garlic
1 tsp salt
½ TBSP cumin (start with less as it can get bitter)
½ lime squeezed

Quickly blend, but not puree, to your liking.

Thanks for the recipe. You have to be mindful of which peppers you are adding for heat, though, as their flavors (not just heat) are fairly distinct. I don't really cook with Scorpions ever, because they are too sweet/fruity. I opt for Ghosts almost every time due to their smokey flavor. I just grew my first Carolina Reaper, too, but it is really just a trophy since it also has a fruit-like flavor that I don't use much in cooking.

Thanks for the recipe. You have to be mindful of which peppers you are adding for heat, though, as their flavors (not just heat) are fairly distinct. I don't really cook with Scorpions ever, because they are too sweet/fruity. I opt for Ghosts almost every time due to their smokey flavor. I just grew my first Carolina Reaper, too, but it is really just a trophy since it also has a fruit-like flavor that I don't use much in cooking.
I agree on the fruitiness, the Scorpion actually tastes great in this recipe. I have some dried ghosts that are from India that were dried over smoldering coals that have a great smokiness to them. I have to admit that I do not like habaneros as the smell turns me off right away and I very much dislike their flavor, like a sewer to me.

I agree completely with the canned tomatoes. I also like to dice 1 tomatillo for texture and a pinch of chipotle powder for back end heat.

I agree on the fruitiness, the Scorpion actually tastes great in this recipe. I have some dried ghosts that are from India that were dried over smoldering coals that have a great smokiness to them. I have to admit that I do not like habaneros as the smell turns me off right away and I very much dislike their flavor, like a sewer to me.

I'll have to make two batches and give them a taste.

Habaneros are in no-man's land for me. I don't mind their taste, but they aren't hot enough for my use, but too hot for many other's use. If I'm going milder, then a roasted jalapeno tastes better, to me.

Back