• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Making Bacon

Pugi

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Got started on my first home cured bacon. Started with a 6 1/4 lbs pork belly with the skin on. I trimmed some bad fat and skin off and ended up with about 5 1/2 lbs. Using Morton quick cure, dark brown sugar, ground garlic, ground bay leaves, ground fresh black pepper. Wish me luck. Pugi

utf-8BSU1BRzA2ODUuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzA2ODYuanBn.jpg

Thanx guys. Plan is to smoke on UDS at about 180* to a internal of 150*. What I'm not sure of is the amount of smoke. I'm thinking a light smoke on this first run and adjust on the next batch. Any input is welcome. Pugi

Thanx guys. Plan is to smoke on UDS at about 180* to a internal of 150*. What I'm not sure of is the amount of smoke. I'm thinking a light smoke on this first run and adjust on the next batch. Any input is welcome. Pugi

I like smoked bacon, so I cold smoke (NO HEAT at all) for 2 hours before going to a the low smoking temperature. But do what works best for your taste.

I like smoked bacon, so I cold smoke (NO HEAT at all) for 2 hours before going to a the low smoking temperature. But do what works best for your taste.

That's just it, not sure what my home made bacon taste is, as this is the first try. This first try will be my base line. Thanx for the input. Guess I'll know in 5 days.

Looking forward to follow your posts and see the end results I really liked my bacon that I did

After 5 days of curing and rinced off. It looks cured, not that I would know what that is supposed to look like.
utf-8BSU1BRzA2OTIuanBn.jpg

A end that was cut off. The color is nice.
utf-8BSU1BRzA2ODguanBn.jpg

Trying out the end that was cut off. It was way to salty but tasted like bacon. The slabs are in water soaking now for 8 hours. I will dry them tonight and smoke them in the morning.
utf-8BSU1BRzA2OTAuanBn.jpg

Just did taste test #2. This was after 4 hours of soaking. Salt content was better, but still to much. 4 more hours of planned soaking to go. So far so good, can't wait to see what smoke will do for it.

I have it on the drum cruising about 110*. I plan on leaving it there for 3 hours then set her to run up to 180* for a internal temp of 150*. 110* is the coldest I could get with my current setup.
utf-8BSU1BRzA2OTQuanBn.jpg

What kind of wood are you gonna smoke with? Looks good, nice work!

Trying out the end that was cut off. It was way to salty but tasted like bacon. The slabs are in water soaking now for 8 hours. I will dry them tonight and smoke them in the morning.
utf-8BSU1BRzA2OTAuanBn.jpg

Has the right color for being cured.... Great job

Smoking will only make it better.

Has the right color for being cured.... Great job

Smoking will only make it better.

Glad to know, thanx. This is all a learning process for me. Right now I'm 5 1/2 hours into the smoke. I kept it at 110* for 2 hours, then 150 for 2 hours. Now its at 210*, internal temp is 140*, just waiting for 150* internal to call it done. I'll show pics when its off the UDS. Pugi

Back