• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

Instead of delaying for the Coke fountain machine, could you just sell cans or bottles for a week or 2? But I guess what's another couple weeks, eh? :-D

Looking really great!

Can't wait for you to give us an opening date :thumb:

Are you going to hang some art on the walls? A local q place had a sleek look like that and about 2 weeks into business people started signing his walls. It wasn't a idea he had but it has became a thing for customers to sign a little message. Review the food or just sign their name all over the place.

Instead of delaying for the Coke fountain machine, could you just sell cans or bottles for a week or 2? But I guess what's another couple weeks, eh? :-D

I already thought about that. If they are true with the two week timeframe, that's fine since it will probably take that long to tie up all the loose ends with employees, training, inspections, etc. But if there is a snag and the machine won't be coming on time, I will certainly sell bottles or cans if it means getting the doors open sooner.

Are you going to hang some art on the walls? A local q place had a sleek look like that and about 2 weeks into business people started signing his walls. It wasn't a idea he had but it has became a thing for customers to sign a little message. Review the food or just sign their name all over the place.

That's a pretty neat idea. Not sure I'd want people writing on the walls I labored on for days though. Actually, I'm a bit of a part-time photographer, so the plan was to get some local photos I've done framed and filling out some of the bare spots on the wall.

One thing we did, was use butcher paper on the tables and put a cup of colored pencils in our condiment carrier for people to draw on the paper. We did switch to newsprint paper because it was cheaper.

Looks like things are coming along. If you are using local photos, do you have the same photo in different seasons. That way you can change with the seasons and have a fresh look.

Got any pictures of the kitchen and inside shots of the smoker?

I do, but it isn't very exciting without being filled with meat.

2mrf6zk.jpg

One thing we did, was use butcher paper on the tables and put a cup of colored pencils in our condiment carrier for people to draw on the paper. We did switch to newsprint paper because it was cheaper.

Looks like things are coming along. If you are using local photos, do you have the same photo in different seasons. That way you can change with the seasons and have a fresh look.

The paper is a good idea. I haven't settled on table coverings yet, so that might be something to look into.

And I'm not sure I have many of the exact same location in different seasons, but I do have a lot of photos from around town at varying times of year.

Great journey you have taken us on. I sure do appreciate it. When do you think you will finally open the doors? It would be great to see pics of your first customers and a frame with you first $$ in it.

Great journey you have taken us on. I sure do appreciate it. When do you think you will finally open the doors? It would be great to see pics of your first customers and a frame with you first $$ in it.

As long as there are no delays with inspections, I'm hoping in about roughly two weeks. As I mentioned a little earlier, if the only unfinished item is the fountain soda, I'll move forward without that to start.

First cook on the smoker today. A bunch of spares and tips. Great googly moogly, did they ever turn out well.

358yq0w.jpg

One thing I was shocked to learn about this pit is how much faster the cooking times are compared to what I'm used to. I put the ribs on expecting about a four hour cook as per usual, but at just 2.5 hours they were bending and on the verge of breaking so I had to pull way early. I guess the rotisserie and convection fan really do make a difference.

I was mainly cooking just to test and to make dinner for our family and my in-laws, but since we had some extra I sort of half joked and posted on facebook that if anybody stopped in they could try a sample. I didn't really think anybody would show. Instead, around 30 people ended up coming. Oops.

Great reviews, too, and got to meet a lot of people in the area who are just begging for the place to open, so that's a good sign.

Pretty exciting to be on the cusp of finally opening.

WOW! 30 customers just from a FB post!

Hopefully the local media will give you some air time.

Good Luck!

Back