Kingsford Hardwood Lump

SmokyOkie

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Alabama Grilbilly brought it up in another thread, and if his experience was as bad as mine, I thought I might post a caveat for those of you who are thinking about trying it.

Don't!

It looks like a fireworks cone coming out of your chimney and it continues to spark incessantly as you cook leaving a coating of cinders all over you, your grill, your food and well, everything.

It was my second or third experiment into the world of lump charcoal, and it almost made me give up the idea altogether.

I've settled on Ozark Oak and Old Mexico Mesquite Carbon Natural. Has anyone else used either of these?

I use royal oak, available at most Wally Worlds and aside from a rock or two, haven't had any probs. However, knowing how K-Ford smells and burns as briquettes, how can yo be surprised?

That stuff is well known as chit around here. There's a link somewhere on here that if I wasn't a lazy basturd I'd search for that has a great anaylsis of most available charcoal. I'm sure someone has it off the top of their head that will be along soon.

Alabama Grilbilly brought it up in another thread, and if his experience was as bad as mine, I thought I might post a caveat for those of you who are thinking about trying it.

Don't!

It looks like a fireworks cone coming out of your chimney and it continues to spark incessantly as you cook leaving a coating of cinders all over you, your grill, your food and well, everything.

It was my second or third experiment into the world of lump charcoal, and it almost made me give up the idea altogether.

I've settled on Ozark Oak and Old Mexico Mesquite Carbon Natural. Has anyone else used either of these?
I've used Old Mexico, and it just popped and sizzled like other lump I have used. I use Vitamin K and wood. This is the only stuff I can stand anymore.

Wow!!! That naked wiz site is an awesome piece of work!!

I bought one bag of that stuff a while back, and couldn't get rid of it fast enough! :mad:

I thought I was burning Rice Crispies! I was waiting for a little elf to come out and laugh at me. I would rather quit grilling than use that chit again.

I've used Old Mexico, and it just popped and sizzled like other lump I have used. I use Vitamin K and wood. This is the only stuff I can stand anymore.

I haven't had too much trouble w/ the Old Mexico sparking. I sparks more thn Ozark Oak, but not anything like the Kingsford.

I don't use charcoal for smoking though, just wood.

What do you mean by "vitamin K"?

Ozark Oak and Old Mexico Mesquite Carbon Natural.

Wow - Old Mexico Mesquite Carbon Natural?!?! That's a mouthful, and must be quite a brand. Haven't tried either, but don't have a lot of choices in this part of the country. Humphrey's Briq and Lump seem to be the best I can find. They are much better than any product I have used from Kingsford. Mali's is okay too, but havent' ever seen their briqs in the market.

"vitamin K"? = Kingsford I believe.

Ya that 'charwood' sucked. Glad I didn't use it on the brisket.

Back to my normal lump BandB brand. Good stuff mix of oak and mesquite I think. I use it to get a good bed of coals and then go 100% wood after that.

Old Mexico Mesquite Carbon Natural -

Gotta say that stuff burns HOTTER than any lump I have used. Sparks were not an issue.

$.02

Royal Oak and Cowboy are all I can find around here. I might have seen the Kingsford but if I remember it was way expensive.

11 of 11 BBQ Brethren members agree that Kingsford Lump would be better if it were marketed as fireworks.

Ozark Oak is great lump. It is also private labeled as HastyBake...

If you like Royal Oak Lump, you will love Ozark Oak...

I've yet to find Ozark Oak in Missouri. Anyone know of a distributor in/near KC?

Is there a difference in the quality of the food in an offset? I would imagine that if the sparks and such never made it into the food chamber, it shouldn't be a huge deal. Clearly it's not an option for most Weber products, as they're all direct, aren't they?

The bulk stuff I got from Berger Bros works great for me, even in the 18" Weber. I'll be cooking over it this weekend in fact on the SKD, as I get 3+ hours out of a basket of the lump using the minion method...

Is there a difference in the quality of the food in an offset? I would imagine that if the sparks and such never made it into the food chamber, it shouldn't be a huge deal. .

This stuff sparks so much that I think it would even need a spark arrester screen in an offset.

I've yet to find Ozark Oak in Missouri. Anyone know of a distributor in/near KC?

If you call them (Yellville, Ark.) they'll ship you a pallet of it for $3.75 a bag plus about $100 shipping.

Ozark Oak is great lump. It is also private labeled as HastyBake...

If you like Royal Oak Lump, you will love Ozark Oak...

It's sure nuff my fave. I mostly use the Old Mexico for higher temps and if I'm using mesquite wood.

OK, now I want to try some of this Ozark Oak. Anyone coming to the Royal with some? Can I buy a bag off of ya?

I called them, it's $3.15 a bag if you order a pallet (64 x 3.15 - $201.60 for 640 lbs of coal) Sounds good! But having UPS ship them sounds chitty - est. $547.41. That's over 200 gallons of gas at $2.65. According to Google, Yellville Ark is 256 miles from home, a shade under 5 hours. 10 hours drive, 512 miles @ 16 mpg average that's 32 gallons of gas - $84.80 in gas.

$286.40 for 64 bags = $4.475 per 10 lb bag

I pay about 5 bucks a bag in Tulsa.

Do you know Mike with the Smokadelics or Merl on this site? Either would be happy to bring you some...

Back