Cooking in the cold

Neil

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Just took a 6# Eye of the Round roast off the Weber Performer. Prepped it using Poohbah's prime rib method and pulled it off the grill when the internal hit 137*. BTW temp outside is 6* with a windchill of -24*!! After mass I'm taking the roast to the grocery store where they will slilce it for me very thin so we can have roast beef samiches at the Super Bowl party.

Superbowl cook

Just setup the WSM. Got 3 Racks of ribs and 2 chickins ready to put on. Outside temp is about -5. I setup a cardboard windshield around the WSM to help keep the temps up. I'll put the meat on about Noon. I'll keep you posted...:cool:

Lots of commitment !!! I saw your temps on Weather Channel this morning (wind chill too!!!) Hang in there .... it's supposed to be colder tomorrow.
Enjoy the Super Bowl and those 'beefies'.

We are suppose to have near blizzard conditions through Tuesday. This all started Thursday night!! I'm going to smoke the quail, I tried one piece while the roast was on and it turned out pretty darn good.

You just made me feel better Neil. I started the fire about 3 AM, and it was 31 when the sun came up. I spent a lot of time inside playing Xbox and watching the NuTemp! We have a forecast high of 55, so life is good.

I have two sides of spares going now. Put them on at 9:45 this morning at 19 degrees going all the way up to 26 this afternoon. I am cooking in a heat wave compared to you guys. I think I have finally figured out heat management in my ECB!!! It only took a year. Minion method and some insulating sheet on the outside of the smoker. I got a 6 hour burn new years day for doing a butt. Now it will get warm again and I will have to learn all over again!

SuperBowl Cook

Well just checked the temp outside +5. Temp in the WSM was 275 so I closed down 2 of the bottom vents. So far so Good!

Great job Neil...same conditions here in Indiana this morning too...windchill's way below zero...try to keep warm and enjoy the Super Bowl !!!

Neil, you are one hell of a man to be out there smokin a roast in -24 degree weather! I bet you're glad you aint sleeping in the pop-up camper behind your avatar! Ive never tried quail, smoked or otherwise, but its on my "to do " list.

Braver than I am!!!! Brrrrrrrrr!

Gee and I thought I had it rough when I did a quick cook on a brisket with the ambient temp of around 45* a few days ago. Man, it's good to live in the Sunshine State.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

JohnMcD348 said:
Gee and I thought I had it rough when I did a quick cook on a brisket with the ambient temp of around 45* a few days ago. Man, it's good to live in the Sunshine State.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Up here outdoor cooking starts with shovelling a path to your grill! :)

Hang in their brother Neil. Your getting ur arse slammed w/much more snow than me. We only have about a foot on the ground but still having whiteout conditions same as you. Listening to the scanner. Multiple car accidents still happening as we speak.
Good luck on your cook.

Mike

Back