Knives and such.

Just got my new stone, that was fast, considering it came from Japan, ordered it late Thursday, and just got it today. Still waiting on new knife it was also ordered on same day, but it is coming from a retailer in West Virginia USA. The directions were on the inside top of package, it started out saying this knife is very sharp, this confused me, so I quickly opened it up and found my stone, no mention of stone in direction, but not a problem. I have not tried it yet because all my knives are very sharp for now.
Dave

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/WhetStonesForSale.html

Good info in here. I have had Henckels Twin Selects (full block) for several years, dont think they make em anymore. They get the job done, few swipes across the steel and they are sharp. I like some of the other knives others have posted in here.

For a Japanese knife, get a smooth steel, and it is not for sharpening at all. It is just for adjusting the edge. All you need is a couple of light swipe along each side of the edge before cutting. And for gawds sake, do not slap it on the steel like you see on t.v., just a smooth delicate swipe or two is all it takes.

Never us a grinder or belt sander. That stone will be all you need, unless you just want to be fancy.

Update

Well life is good in my world, my stone came in yesterday, and my knife and guide today, while I was out picking up my new to me Bandera.

I have to say it is not a knife that will wow you with stunning beauty, my wife thinks I am nuts, nothing new about that. It is very sharp out of the box, and so far I like the grip and feel, it is much easier to use a claw or pinch grip because the the blade heel is set out a bit from the handle making it a more natural feel. Thanks for every ones advice here.
Dave

Hey Mo-Dave, check out this video of a "Red Neck W E. I had the same idea, but would mount one socket holder on each side that could slide in and out to adjust for different edge angles, similar to the WE. Should be able to build one for less than $40 + the lansky. Thought of building it on a poly cutting board.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I5bIuhHng4&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I5bI...e_gdata_player[/ame]

This is video #1 of 2. The second shows him using it. Should be referenced from the first video.

Blessings,

Omar

Omar, that is a lot better set up than what I did. I like the swivel set up, they are asking I think 145.00 for a new swivel set up at WE. I did not put much thought into mine and only used what I had on hand at the time so it is not nearly as clean looking as this one, also I have both sides of the clamp screwed down and I think his idea of letting one side stay loose is a better idea. I have another clamp, so someday I may build another one, I would mount it to something a little heavier than what he has it on. I stand at a bench so I wanted mine closer to eye level than what he has, accounting for the height on mine, all I can say is it does work. He worries a lot about cutting himself, I think he should buy some metal mesh fish cleaning gloves.
Dave

hmmm, I think they are beautiful knives.

I am shallow, just so shallow. :tsk: I met her a short few hours ago, fondling her long enough to slice some strawberries for desert, she is not a timid one, I like that about her, and feel their is a good chance we will develop a loving relationship, looks be damned. :icon_blush: I may find our relationship hard to explain to my wife:redface:
Dave

Back