View Single Post
Old 02-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #9222
maliclipse
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coewar View Post
If it's just an oil, then scrub pad and good grease cutting dish soap should do the trick. And then the rest as I suggested; drying it, rubbing it all down with a thick coat of olive oil and burn it in. That burning is at least 350 which you can easily get with charcoal and your paint will have no issues. I can take mine to 450 without worrying about the outside paint.
I'm going to call the manufacture and find out. From everything I read its definetly not a liner, the barrel is bare metal with an oil on it. I just want to make sure its not toxiic.

I think I'm just going to order the barrel, wash a part of the inside and see if it rusts the next day or two, then I'll do the full wash and as you suggested do an burn with a bag of charcoal and food grade oil to give it a nice protective coating.

I've been going through the pages here one by one and looking at the pictures. A lot of you guys have some stellar ideas that I plan on implementing, mainly:

1) Ball valves
2) Vent piping so you don't have to bend down to adjust intake temps
3) A hook on the lide to be able to hook it on the side while you're moving meat (so you don't have to put it on the ground or a table
4) hooks/shelving for accessories
5) wheels - castors maybe? I've seen a guy attach a dolly to his
6) ash basket with a pan underneath to make cleanup a snap
7) side handles to be able to move the unit around for storage/cleaning
a few other things I have in my notes somewhere.
maliclipse is offline   Reply With Quote