First cook on the WSM

Kjonge

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Monday was the day that I fired up my WSM 22" for the first time. I had the box in my garage for 3 weeks because I was in the middle of moving to a new house. After smoking on my 18" weber grill for more then a year the WSM was amazing.

I didn't have much time so I decided to go for some ribs I got from the local butcher. I rubbed the ribs with a little mustard and rubbed it in with some KC pork rub and let it rest for a while to warm up.

To fire up the WSM I decided to try the minion method, so first I put a full load of unlit chimney kingsford coals on the charcoal grate. Next I lit a halve a load of chimney and put them right on top of the unlit coals and assembled the rest of the cooker, I added half a hot water to the cooking pan.

I waited for the WSM to make it up to 200 before I put the meat on
wsm.jpg

It was amazinly easy to keep the temperature between 210 and 240 even during rain. Amazing!. After 3 1/2 hours I decided to open him up and spray some apple juice on it. Closing the lid dropped the temp to 150, I was able to get it back up to 210 so I let it run for another 1 1/2 hours.

Then I decided they were ready to be eaten.
The rib just off the grate:
riborg.jpg

And after some hickory smoke sauce:
rib.jpg

It was really good, I never had a rib that fell from the bone like that. I am really looking forward to more BBQing on this baby.

I am firing mine up for the first time this Sunday! Glad to hear your first time was a good experience. You always remember your first, good or bad, but its a better memory if it was good! :wink:

Congrats on a successful first cook!

those ribs look great I am doing me some Friday.

Good looking ribs. Looks like you broke it in well! :thumb:

Back