View Single Post
Old 02-17-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
417bullelk
Full Fledged Farker

Default Mods to the WSM then a family cook...

I made a couple of minor mods to my WSM. I added a couple temp gauges and installed the Guru eyelet(s) (Only 1 installed right now). Of course once the mods were done, I had to try it out. I had been wanting to make ribs for weeks, so we invited my brothers over and I was off to Costco.

Made 6 racks of baby backs. I did a little experimenting with 'em. I had been wanting to try the brown sugar / butter thing since seeing it on BBQ Pitmasters. A few of the racks I left in the rib rack for 4.5 hours with an occasional apple juice bath, no foil. A couple I foiled after 2 hours, and a couple a foiled with the brown sugar / butter trick.

WSM loaded, Minion method with Kingsford blue, 3 small/medium chucks hickory, 3 bottom vents 1/2 open, top vent 2/3 open, water pan foiled and filled with hot water.

Results -

2 racks cooked 4.5 hours at 225 top rack of WSM, no foil, apple juice spray, couple times in last 1.5 hours. Cooked until meat just started to pull away from ends.Family commented stronger smoke flavor (too strong some said), ribs were firm but tender, more like judges want, clean bite, meat stays on the bone.

2 racks - cooked with the 2-2-1 method, came out as expected, almost falling off the bone, milder smoke flavor, 1 rack sauced, 1 rack not, both got apple juice bath. Dang good eating.

2 racks - cooked 2.5 hours in the rib rack, apple juice bath twice, got pulled out of rib rack and placed in foil loaded with light brown sugar and squeeze Parkay, put more brown sugar on top of ribs with more squeeze Parkay, then sealed 'em up in foil. Put back in the heat for about an 2 hours. Temp rose to about 250 in WSM since some of the meat had been removed. Opened foil and WOW they looked great. Smell was incredible. These got sauced with Head Country Hot and some local stuff from The Barbecue Company - Free Range Red.

Now for the Rib pron...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ribs1 (Medium).JPG (136.6 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg ribs2 (Medium).JPG (140.2 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg WSM Mods (Medium).jpg (32.5 KB, 313 views)
Weber WSM...Finally!!
Weber Performer
Weber 18.5" Kettle and a 22.5" Kettle
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum w/One Touch Mod.
Weber Smokey Joe Silver, A Charbroil Gasser, A Little Red Campfire.
417bullelk is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->