• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Looking for low sodium rubs and sauces

Quint

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
A good friend of mine suffered a heart attact recently and had by-pass surgery. He is now on a low sodium diet I am looking for some ideas on good low sodium rubs and sauces so he can continue to enjoy some Q. He can have ribs and beef on very rare occasions but chicken is definiately on his diet so I'll be smoking up a ton of chicken if I can find the proper(that reads taste good) rubs and sauces. Commercial or homemade ideas are welcome.

Thanks all!

There is so much sodium in everything we eat these days, I've switched to very low or no sodium rubs. One of my favorites for chicken is to take mrs. Dash, or better yet the Costco no salt seasoning and doctor it up. I add more granulated garlic/onion, paprika, pepper.... Be careful with chili powders as they often are loaded with salt.

Sauces are a tuff one almost all base ingredients are loaded with salt, try to find low sodium catchup and go from there. The problem with most low sodium sauces is that they are loaded with processed sugars, which depending on who you listen to may be worse than the salt. I use a lot of vinegar based sauces and vinaigrette based finishing sauces based on herbs good olive oil and an acid component.

Your chances of finding a good commercial rubs with little of no salt are slim. I suggest you get comfortable and familiar with Mrs. Dash's line of seasoning blends.

Blu's No salt Rub

3 Tbl paprika
2 Tbl onion powder
2 Tbl garlic powder
1 Tbl basil
1/2 tsp celery seed
1 tsp thyme
1Tbl oregano
1tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne(Adj to tolerance)
* Add sugar to desired sweetness after Processing if desired

Put everything into a Blender, Food processor, Spice mill and Blitz it good to ensure uniformity. Store in an air tight container

Here are a few sauces that are low or no salt sauces that are Quite good

Tangy Coffee Barbecue Sauce

Ingredients

• 1 cup ketchup
  • 1 cup brewed coffee
  • 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons worcestershire suace
Preparation

1. Combine ketchup, coffee, brown sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, and chili powder in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in pepper, balsamic vinegar, and worcestershire sauce.

Luther’s Barbecue Sauce

3 small cans tomato sauce
1/4 onion, minced fine
1/2 C. brown sugar
1 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. mustard powder
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. molasses
1 Tbsp. corn syrup
1/4 tsp. Cayenne pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
2-3 tsp. liquid smoke
Mix all ingredients in a medium sized pot, and simmer for 1 hour

Sweet Mustard Barbecue Sauce

Ingredients

1 cup cider vinegar
2/3 cup prepared mustard
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce

Directions
Stir together first 8 ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat; bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.Remove from heat, and stir in butter and worcestershire sauce

Last edited:
Some great ideas and suggestions, thanks. Keep them coming if people have others.

Dizzy Pigs, no salt Dizzy Dust is a good start. That with Mrs. Dash Original, in the table blend, makes a killer chicken rub.

Dizzy Pigs, no salt Dizzy Dust is a good start. That with Mrs. Dash Original, in the table blend, makes a killer chicken rub.

Are you saying blend these two together to make a chicken rub?

Back