Weber fire start cubes...?

Fantastic for on-the-go chimney starting. One little cube and a match, that'll start anything, anywhere. From camping to competitions. A+

I keep at least 3 boxes on hand, gonna start doing like stephen and cut them. I wish they came in better packages tho

same here, that's my biggest complaint with them. Every time I push one of the cubes thru the tin foil, little pieces of the wax crap break and get everywhere.

I cut out the middle man and drop one directly in my fire basket instead of using a chimney. It couldn't be any easier.

A paper towel rolled up and tied in a knot then dropped into liquid bacon fat to soak a bit. Doesn't cost much or go bad. Been using them to light the charcoal right in grills and my smokers for a few years now. Have not used a chimney in a LONG time.

I just bougth these things and it stated that you should have them totally burned out before setting your food down - Now my question is, why can't I just take an empty can (such as tomato paste mini can) - Cut it, turn it around so the bottom side is sitting up- sit a cube on it, set a blaze and then put the starter on top if it. That way you don't have to worry about the cube being inside your cooking space? .

Yay or Nay?

I just bougth these things and it stated that you should have them totally burned out before setting your food down - Now my question is, why can't I just take an empty can (such as tomato paste mini can) - Cut it, turn it around so the bottom side is sitting up- sit a cube on it, set a blaze and then put the starter on top if it. That way you don't have to worry about the cube being inside your cooking space? .

Yay or Nay?

Yay. If the setup is the way I'm picturing, the pellet isn't going into the cooker, so there's on issues as far as I can tell.

For me, I use newspaper sprayed with a little cooking spray. The oil from the spray causes the fire to burn longer and more complete, which helps reduce the ash from the newspaper.

Got my first intro to them at the DFW bash. They work well, and don't have the nasty smell of other fire starters I've tried.

If I didn't receive all those free fire starters delivered to my door by the USPS, I might try them. But I have a 2 foot high pile of newsprint and a weber chimney to go through first.

A cotton ball soaked in 90% alcohol works well too. Much cheaper also.

X2^^

This is what I've used since getting my Akorn. Quick and easy, no mess. I can pick up the ingredients at the groc store, no special trip to a hardware store.

Back