Sysco to but US Foods 3.5 Billion

I heard this on the radio and was surprised. I have had the US Foods salesman in trying to get my business. I switched from Sysco to Reinhart, just because Sysco was higher priced. I think Sysco's business model is to cater to the institutional places and everyone else be damned.

I also received an email from Sysco. It said that the deal won't be final until the third quarter of next year, so you have some time. What I'm wondering is how the two will fit together. Sysco really is not customer service based where US Foods is. I guess only time will tell.

a couple years ago I was using Sysco, Thousands of pounds in butts and I kept getting bone fragments in the meat, I kept complaininig till then finally a customer received a fragment that we did not catch, they claimed even before this happened I was the only one to complain and the district manager called, however never ever followed up, so i dropped them...US is right down the road and the deals are good..but wait n see now..

I feel sorry for the smaller guys.
I am a Sysco user and absolutely LOVE them but then i'm one of their biggest customers in Mi.
Customer service is top notch and i've even trained the drivers to unload their truck to make my job easier!

That's buy not but sorry. This sucks for me, Sysco in my area will not work with the small guy. They only want your business if you can purchase large quantities. :cry: I have had great success using US Foods http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/12/09/sysco-to-buy-us-foods-for-3-5-billion/?_r=0

We are getting small tidbits of info on the deal. They are planning on running the 2 seperate. They plan on using Sysco supply chain, and US foods service model (that's my take), to help one another.

Bubba, did you ever get the fragments in the block pork butts? We averaged 1 or 2 every 10 it was better for awhile, then the customer got one in a pulled pork sandwich...

I feel sorry for the smaller guys.
I am a Sysco user and absolutely LOVE them but then i'm one of their biggest customers in Mi.
Customer service is top notch and i've even trained the drivers to unload their truck to make my job easier!

We call that type of training "bribery" down here...:becky::thumb:

Sysco did this with a smaller food distribution company out here, as well as a small national organic/natural service provider. What they did was keep the smaller market service up and running initially, then slowly phase out both service and product line. They worked on trying to set up a cooperative distribution plan, where one drop would service three or four small customers. That failed. Now, they are trying a small truck delivery system, a friend uses them, and he seems to be happy.

Bubba, did you ever get the fragments in the block pork butts? We averaged 1 or 2 every 10 it was better for awhile, then the customer got one in a pulled pork sandwich...

Butcher Block pork butts. I have had fragments but thats gonna happen once in a while. I usually catch them when rubbing.

Back