5 lb Plowboys rub

A

AginAustin

Ok, I'm sure there is a thread on here somewhere that I couldn't find but I'll post the question since I couldn't find it. Since cookoff season is approaching, I was thinking about buying a 5 lb bag of yardbird.

How long will this keep? I could see maybe using half or 1/4 of it for cookoffs this year and I don't get to Q much other than that since I live in an apartment. Does anyone know how long I can keep the bag? How should I keep the seasoning that I don't use?

Thanks in advance!

I can tell you that during catering season we bought 3 - 5# bags and I still have one left...meaning it has lasted 14 months in a dry environment. Someone else may have a more specific answer, but that's my experience. Great stuff!

In a humid environment, keep your powdery ingredients in the fridge.

Vac-sealing is good, too.

I live in Texas so I guess the humidity would be a problem...and to make my problem even worse, I don't have a vac sealer. Do you think the rub would keep for a year (or however long) inside a tub in the fridge?

Thanks Crue, I guess I may just buy a couple shakers instead of the whole bag since 5 lbs may last a couple years...

For home use, I use it on chicken, ribs, butts and prok chops. I also give it to friends and family to try. 5lbs goes faster than you think sometimes. Some friend may want to buy a pound when you order. It's cheaper than the shakers. I've split up orders with GrumpysQ as well.

I live in Austin and can vacuum seal it for you and/or buy a pound also.

I think it will spoil !! So just send me your left overs and I will dispose of it for you!!!! I run the CRDC (Certified Rub Disposal Company)! Really I'm EPR (Eat Plenty of Ribs) certified!!!!
Terry

Back