Selling prepared pulled pork by the pound

BBQ_Bama

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Our church does three BBQ plate fundraisers a year to raise money for our youth group. The plate comes with PP sammie (approximately 4.5 oz meat), beans, bag of chips, brownie or cookie and a soft drink. We've done this for four years now. We are getting more and more people who want to simply by the pulled pork rather than having to buy the plate. We've discussed (for the next time we do a fundraiser) offering the option to simply by the meat by the lb. However, I'm not in the catering business or the business of selling bbq to the public. I cook the meat for our church during fundraisers. So I have zero point of reference on what to charge for this option. My knee jerk reaction "guess" was anywhere between $8-$10/lb.

What do some of you guys who are in the business charge for prepared PP sold by the pound? Thanks in advance for the advice. :thumb:

Of course your cost is the main concern, but look around at your local barbecue restaurants and get a feel for what they charge. In my area (North & South Carolina), $10 is right in line. Some places are more, some are less. I sell for $10.

There is no need for you to be too concerned about trying to figure your food cost. It's a fund raiser, and there are many costs that you aren't concerned with since you don't have to pay the overhead of a restaurant. Just look around and charge what the market will bear in your area.

I'm in NJ, so expected more expensive. The local guy who makes great Q sells it for $10 a half pound and $18 a lb). But you're down south, not near NYC. You might consider those 1/2lb portions as an option, though.

My thought is not to offer the bulk pork so cheap it pushes the buyers away from the plates. With 4 sandwich to the pound I'd be more in the $12 a pound range. That's only $3 a sand with a $.20 bun.

Thank you guys for the advise. We will definitely refer to these suggestions when we do our next fundraiser in September. The current fundraiser was this weekend. We sold over 160 plates and made over $1,900!!!! WOW! The Lord blesses!

My thought is not to offer the bulk pork so cheap it pushes the buyers away from the plates. With 4 sandwich to the pound I'd be more in the $12 a pound range. That's only $3 a sand with a $.20 bun.

This was discussed as well. Our next BBQ fundraiser will be in September/October. So we've got time to decide on pricing. I just wanted to get a ballpark figure rather than going by my "pulled out of my rear end" pricing. Looks like I wasn't that far off!!! LOL! :becky:

Back