• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Advice for ribs on PBC

Freddy j

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
When I've cooked ribs on my PBC (as shown in mfr video) the ribs hang too close to the fire and the 3-4 bones closest are charred/dried to an unedible.

Have others found a solution?

Cut the rack in half?
Position the hook in the middle of the rack?
Put a hook in each end of the rack so the rack hangs like a "u?" (This would put a serious limit on the amount of racks you can cook).

I do not know about hanging ribs for cooking in the PBC, but I use rib racks on both shelves so the ribs will lay sideways. The racks toward the end of the barrel are trimmed to fit and also make great snacking..

438240_L1

If you have room skip every other row to allow good air circulation between the racks. I use two rib racks on each shelf, allowing 6 racks per shelf.

Last edited:
I do not know about hanging ribs for cooking in the PBC, but I use rib racks on both shelves so the ribs will lay sideways. The racks toward the end of the barrel are trimmed to fit and also make great snacking..

438240_L1

If you have room skip every other row to allow good air circulation between the racks. I use two rib racks on each shelf, allowing 6 racks per shelf.

Thanks for the good word madman, are you using the rack on the PBC or another pit?

I also have a wsm 22 and the ribs come out unbelievable, but I'd like to get he same results from the PBC (for smaller cooks or when I want to take the PBC on the road )

Hmmm, I have done ribs several times on my PBC, with bottom of ribs 2 inches from the charcoal. I have never had burnt ends like that. Confusing... wonder why your getting different results. All I can say is that I am following Noah's advice exactly as shown in his videos (Kingsford blue, lighter fluid, 20 minutes, hang ribs). They come out soooo good, and have always been cooked evenly from top to bottom.

Have you discussed your issue with Noah? Would be interesting to hear his response/advice!

How long did you cook them for? Also, maybe consider cutting them in half to avoid the issue.

On a different note, make sure your fire isn't running too hot from the get go. Using too much lighter fluid and lighting too many briquettes can make your temps be too high. Try lighting on 10-15 pieces in a chimney and then place them in the center of the basket. Place the basket back into the barrel and with lid on, allow 15 to 20 minutes for the charcoal to settle in and roll sweet blue.

Works perfect for me and I've never had an issue of overcooking anything on it. Hope that helps ya!

I don't own a PBC but I've hung ribs in my UDS and they've come as close as a couple of inches from the coals, but I've also done them at under 250F (temp taken about 2/3 way up the drum). If your ends are coming out inedible perhaps you're running your temps too high?

I have hung ribs in my pbc and never had that problem.. maybe lighting too much or putting the ribs on too soon. I usually hook mine 4-5 ribs in but depends on the length of the whole pack.

I don't own a PBC but I've hung ribs in my UDS and they've come as close as a couple of inches from the coals, but I've also done them at under 250F (temp taken about 2/3 way up the drum). If your ends are coming out inedible perhaps you're running your temps too high?

It's possible, I dialed down the temp in the PBC caz it was running hotter than I wanted.

How long did you cook them for? Also, maybe consider cutting them in half to avoid the issue.

On a different note, make sure your fire isn't running too hot from the get go. Using too much lighter fluid and lighting too many briquettes can make your temps be too high. Try lighting on 10-15 pieces in a chimney and then place them in the center of the basket. Place the basket back into the barrel and with lid on, allow 15 to 20 minutes for the charcoal to settle in and roll sweet blue.

Works perfect for me and I've never had an issue of overcooking anything on it. Hope that helps ya!

Thanks bassman, it was a tad over 3 hours. I lit 15 bricks in my chimney dumped em in, waited 20 and put the lid on. All the other bones were great but the bottom 4. Maybe I got a pack of lousy ribs.

Hmmm, I have done ribs several times on my PBC, with bottom of ribs 2 inches from the charcoal. I have never had burnt ends like that. Confusing... wonder why your getting different results. All I can say is that I am following Noah's advice exactly as shown in his videos (Kingsford blue, lighter fluid, 20 minutes, hang ribs). They come out soooo good, and have always been cooked evenly from top to bottom.
Yeah, I'm not giving up, I love the cooker, we 'll get it sorted

Have you discussed your issue with Noah? Would be interesting to hear his response/advice!
Nah, wanted to ask the brethren who are using for advice first.

What about cutting the racks in half before you hang them?

I'm thinking of trying this next, I agree with you; seems like the next logical step.

I used my PBC in a comp this weekend. I cooked 3 racks of St. Louis on it. I filled the charcoal ring up with charcoal and then took out 15 pieces and lit them in my charcoal chimney. Added the lit charcoal and a chunk of apple wood. I put the lid on it and had my Maverick probe hanging about 3" below the rebar. I didn't put the ribs on the pit for about 45 minutes. When I did the temp was 310. Temp dropped to about 275 when I first put the meat on then rose back to about 300. I cooked them for 2 1/2 hrs then pulled them and wrapped in foil for another 1 /1/2 hrs. Tented the foil and let them rest for about 30 minutes. Then glazed and back on the pit for 15-20 minutes. All 3 racks were perfect. Took 1st place in ribs out of 21 teams. I could have bought 5 more from Noah with the winnings. I absolutely love my PBC. I named it the little black assassin.

I used my PBC in a comp this weekend. I cooked 3 racks of St. Louis on it. I filled the charcoal ring up with charcoal and then took out 15 pieces and lit them in my charcoal chimney. Added the lit charcoal and a chunk of apple wood. I put the lid on it and had my Maverick probe hanging about 3" below the rebar. I didn't put the ribs on the pit for about 45 minutes. When I did the temp was 310. Temp dropped to about 275 when I first put the meat on then rose back to about 300. I cooked them for 2 1/2 hrs then pulled them and wrapped in foil for another 1 /1/2 hrs. Tented the foil and let them rest for about 30 minutes. Then glazed and back on the pit for 15-20 minutes. All 3 racks were perfect. Took 1st place in ribs out of 21 teams. I could have bought 5 more from Noah with the winnings. I absolutely love my PBC. I named it the little black assassin.

Congrats! I'm ready to join this PBC revolution. I tend to like to research things heavily before I make a purchase...I've seen and heard enough. I need one of these.

Remember back during high school football days how there was always a little guy, maybe 5'6" 135# dripping wet in full pads? Remember how he would outwork and stick his helmet jn your earhole and knock you on your ass? My PBC reminds of those days-and that guy. If I wanted it to, my PBC could kick my other cookers off the patio. Luckily my PBC is mild mannered and just sits off to the side and tolerates me rotating andusing the others when its not his turn. :D

And as to burned ribs I have not experienced that. Seems like it should, but it hasn't.

Last edited:
Back